Centenial Rank Badges Restricted?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary,

There are legitimate reasons for buying ranks, esp Eagle. Venturers can wear the Eagle badge on their uniform until they turn 21. One of my scout shop staff Eagled at 18 and loved the fact that when he worked the summer camp trading post, he could wear his Eagle on the Venturing green shirt. Too bad the boss would only let him wear the Venturing uni at camp and not at the regular shop.

As for why I have bought Eagle patches after 18, 1) for table tops for my troop ( each eagle has a table decoration with an eagle badge, his name, year, and a point of the Scout Law. Since I worked for the shop, I would buy advancement for the troop) 2) for presentations, and 3) trade (yep I traded an Eagle badge for both a British and Canadian Queeen's Scout award. I also traded a set of BSA ranks for a set of British ranks.)

I can tell you that part of the reason why BSA is so strict is because of Ebay. But even before the net, they were strict b/c folks would try and but things. Trust me, Halloween and Mardi Gras wer the biggest times when folks who had nothing to do with the BSA try and buy uniforms.

• 5 months later...

Interesting thread revival ...

A sad commentary indeed when the organization that issues the Eagle doesn't have faith in the recipients.

It's a sad commentary that some people think having earned Eagle gives you more privileges, or makes you "better," or puts you a step ahead of someone who "just" earned Life. Or Tenderfoot. Or First Class.

All Eagle means is that you fulfilled a certain set of requirements as a boy, not that you're some sort of superhuman as an adult. Is it impressive and worthy of recognition? Certainly. But an Eagle card or knot or badge doesn't open doors to you that are closed to someone else.

I have very little patience with obsessive collector types. No individual Scouter truly needs a second or third collection of all the rank badges. Scouts get one badge; that's all any Scouter should have.

If a unit wants to get an extra badge to make a special plaque or presentation to a recipient, as Eagle92 described, I'm sure that a letter from the SM, CC or COR to the shop manager would suffice. That's not what's being talked about here.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

I applaude you reaching the rank of Eagle, however that does not entitle you to receive patches that were only available to be earned during the centennial year. Yes, you can purchase replacement patches that you have earned, however, if you did not earn them in the centennial year, then the scout shops are right in not selling them to you. My son earned his Second Class rank in 2010, and I had to submit additional paperwork in order for him to receive a 2nd badge for his back up uniform.

Truefully folks not all scout shops are equal or enforce the rules equally. The shop in my area is a National one and I can and have gone in there and purchased Eagle patches and medals for gifts without any paperwork and never was questioned once. This is true for many other so called restricted items as well.

Way too much hand wringing.

I am a firm believer that if someone wants to buy a BSA medal, a patch, a doo dad, a gee gaw, a whatever, from ebay or the local pawnshop, or from an estate sale, or a garage sale, more power to them.

The inconsistent national/local scout shops? Gotta follow the rules, but the rules should make sense. If someone needs an extra first class patch, it shouldn't be a huge ordeal to get it.

If someone wants to collect all 57 variations of the Eagle medal, have at it. Whether the person is an Eagle scout is immaterial--at least to me.

Why? These medals and patches represent the accomplishments and future potential of the recipient--the items aren't the accomplishment themselves. Nor are they holy objects. They are bits of cloth and metal.

The most important things in scouting are not the badges, but rather the Spirit of Scouting.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

Desert; I think most people annoyed by it are talking about "current" awards that require paperwork to get them to start with. There have been a few sellers on eBay that have somehow been able to offer the various 2010 items to anyone, often in sets, but also by piece, and they have been doing it to "make a profit", not to put in a collection. For me, it is particularly annoying to see brand new Silver Buffalo awards and Distinguished Eagle kits being offered. The really sad thing is that, assuming they are real, someone is getting them to the sellers beneath the in place rules.

For me, that indicates at least two dishonest individuals who are trying to make a profit on something that is supposed to have special meaning.

JMHO of course.

Those unscrupulous individuals wouldn't be sneaking & selling this stuff if there weren't a market for it. My apologies if I offend any collectors - but why do you need a whole set of badges that you didn't earn? Why do you pay beaucoup bucks for patches that you can't even wear?

Shortridge, from what I've seen, those who amass exhaustive collections of scout items (or specialize in Eagle medals, etc.) do it for the same reason folks collect super bowl rings, football jerseys of famous players, etc. Even though they didn't play in the super bowl, or wear the jersey personally, they love the history and significance of the items. And the thrill of pursuit.

I admit I got mixed emotions on Ebay. On one side I have bought Scouting memorabilia off of ebay. A good bit of my collection was at my mom's house still and Katrina hit, losing everything. So I have bought things that I'm trying to replace. OA flaps from my youth are the #1 thing

I have also bought things from events I've been too, but couldn't afford to get, or unable to get at the time. Some WSJ items come to mind. And I have bought some things to have an extra in my collection.

And yes I am still waiting to buy a 1990 75th OA Anniversary dangle that I earned but never received b/c national was out of them by the time my lodge's order was placed. That's on hold as a the price always go over what I can afford.

I know I've sold stuff, mostly flaps and CSPs, in order to raise funds to go back to school. So I can understand why people sell.

But I do have a problem with those who sell restricted items on a regular basis purely for profit. I personally do not understand it.