I don't know an official appraiser, but most areas have old/antique book stores where someone can help you. I would probably get appraisals from more than one source. Informally, you can get an idea of their value by looking at what price similiar books are selling on ebay. Go in under "boy scout books" or handbooks and be prepared to see a lot of entries. If these are early BS handbooks, the ones with a scout using semaphore on the cover, they will sell for several hundred dollars each, even in poor condition. In checking out ebay, you can also get the email addresses of some of the sellers who are collectable dealers, they may be able to help you determine values, too. Give them the exact titles and copyright dates, etc. Oh, if your friend woul like to do his "good Deed", a lot of councils are now having silent auctions. Donating one book to the council for a auction item assures it will go to a good scout home. And to plug my local area, Milwaukee County Council, Milwaukee, Wisconsin has a great scouting museum that is always willing to take donations. They may be able to give your friend an idea of the books values there, too.

Good luck.