Camp Patches and Special Program Patches

I am sort of new when it comes to patch trading patches and what ones have what value.

I have some patches that are from our Council Camp. Some are old summer camp patches (Past few years) and some are from some of the speciality programs. Some of the speciallity programs are the Duty to God patch and the Leave no Trace Camp Patch.

THese patches also have the name of the camp that wil be changed come the first of the year. Meaning there will be no more Camp Bonner and all the new ones wil be Camp Bodie. (Whole different topic there.)

How will these patches fall into value or demand in the future. I am just asking because they still have more for the purchase and I will be there in a few weeks and will have the oppurtunity to get some more.

As another note I was fortunate enough to get the lalst of our lodges Arrow Corps5 lodge flaps. Complete set. Will this have any value?

Just trying to find out some more information about the patches that I have.

I will post more about some other patches that I have when I get a chance.

From my experience, the only patches on a national level to have any value would be those patches that are, for lack of a better word "standard," namely CSPs and OA flaps. Unless the temp patch is from a special national/regional event, i.e. NOAC, a section conclave, a temp insignia from a NSJ, etc temp patches do not gain value on a national level. I tried trading temp insignia at a NSJ and NOAC and no one wanted them

HOWEVER on a local level, they could be worht something to a participant who traded or lost their patch, and the patch has meaning to them. I knwo that I lost a bunch of patches my mom had stored for me b/c of Katrina. Some items were saved and/or replaced, but most are gone. So I am sacnning EBAY for them, and have purchased one or two I've found.

See ya tonite.

The name-changed camp may have some sentimental and "cool" value down the road - like in 15-20 years, when a whole generation or two has gone through knowing it as Camp Bodie.

I don't know much about monetary value, but one CSP that has definite cachet in my council - Del-Mar-Va - was one produced in the '70s (I believe) with a map of the council that left off the Eastern Shore of Virginia. There's another version that included the entire state of Virginia as part of the council. Both are errors, but valuable to people who've been around for a while. You may find some similar patches in your neck of the woods.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

On the original poster's Q's, those have been more or less answered. OA patches have a national following, so those, in general will have a higher value than the camp ones. The camp ones all depend on the camp and who is interested in them.

One of our local camps, Camp Bomazeen, consistently gets "high" bids (over $10 per patch minimum) when a patch comes up on auction from it. Why? Well, it's been semi-closed for the past six years--no boy scout summer camp program, and there are a couple of deep-pocketed collectors out there who send the prices up quickly when they see one available for bid.

As to the Jambo questioner: It all depends on what the attendees deem as "cool" that year.

Ex: One of our other camps (Camp Hinds) put out a picture patch of their camp staff for 1986, depicting the previous year's staff. They couldn't give the patches away at camp. No one liked this photo silk-screen over a standard embroidered patch. They sat in the sale bin at the council office for a few years. A scout going to the '89 Jambo bought out what was left at 50 cents each. They were a huge hit at Jambo, 'cause no one else had ever seen anything like it before. He was getting 6 or more Jambo CSPs for one of those photo patches.

At the '93 Jamboree, Ghost Patches (patch done all in one color) and Shadow Patches (a good portion of the patch done in black, like Pine Tree Council's previous, no longer current CSP), were very popular regardless if it was a CSP or an event patch.

Problem is, your son won't know until he gets there if there will be anything beyond CSP's/OA flaps that will be "cool" at the 2010 jambo.