Value of a defunct council patch?

Based on a quick ebay search, and without knowing what patches you have, I'd say not much. Maybe $3-5 each. Might be better off trading or donating them to a collector...unless you feel like prospecting and want to hold onto them for a few years.

Depends on the "issue"...classified as "T" for twill or "S" for solid embroidered...some councils have many, many versions...every time a new lot is ordered and there is a variance, it constitutes a new version. Some are rarer than others.

Added to the loom types, you have special issues like jambo, Philmont, or commemoration of something in the council. Often those tend to be more desirable, especially if few were actually issued or sold.

I've got an older copy of a patch valuation guide which list the two most valuable Mission Council patches as being $20-25. Both are special issue patches, one is the 75th anniversary of Scouting (1985)and the other is the 75th anniversary of the council (1995). Others are as low as $4-5. Mission issued a total of 12 different should strips until they merged.

I don't think the prices have changed much since the guide I have was published

I need to do one better on nldscout. (chuckle)

I'll send you the SASE and promise they will be displayed on one of the blankets my collection is sewn to and taken to events throughout Maine. :)

More seriously, others have answered your question: It all depends on several factors, much like the value of a used car.

Hey johnny, as others have said the patch isn't worth that much, except to a former scout or scouter of that council for nostalgia. I have a Mission Council csp I received from a DE during NEI professional training in Texas in the late 80's. Both councils I was in as a youth and a DE have been closed/absorbed and I managed to get patches for both fairly easily.

So monetary value is going to be nil, you can try posting it on ebay where all the die hard collectors go to find a bargain or that one special patch for them.