I am looking for one of the very old, spl hat pins for my son to wear on a campaign hat, for flag ceremonies. The only one I have located has the fleur in gold, and has the 3 green bars, with the bottom bar being shorter then the upper two. That would appear to be an ASPL pin. Is that correct? I know these are probably rare, but I thought I would ask here.

Back in the day (according to my 1942 Handbook for Boys), the SPL wore two long bars with a short one overlaid with the 1st class emblem. The JASM wore three long bars with the 1st class emblem. It shows no insignia for ASPL.

Thanks, GW... the source I found had both pins, labeled just as you described. What is now the ASPL patch image is or was the SPL pin, way back when. He also has the JASM, with the 3 full, green bars, both pins with the first class emblem in gold on each, so he is correct in his identification, and I am too new to know.

Hello Gold Winger,

I believe that the job and badge of ASPL did not exist until the late '50s, early '60s. I remember that when the job was created, I was the first person in our Troop to hold the job.

• Upvote 1

kahits,

There may be one of these pins in a bag of stuff that was donated to my lodge. We use the stuf for auctions to raise funds. I'll see if it is still in storage. If so, we'd have to make arrangements for a swap for something that the lodge could auction instead.

GW is right on the money, as is Neilup.

JASM was 3 and SPL was 2 1/2. JASM went to a round patch (and pin)in the mid 40s and the ASPL appeared in the early 60s(?). The earlier pins (20s and early 30s) the FDL was silver, the later were gold. Some of the enamel bars were dark green (usually the earlier ones), others were a lighter green.

During WW2 the enamel was replaced with green paint.

The patches reflected the pins.

BTW, the position pins back then were awesome compared to what we have today.

We presented our Scoutmaster a pin for his hat on his 20th anniversary of being SM. Very cool.

I have a small collection that I take to Roundtables and Troop meetings to show the boys (and scouters) how it used to be.

Kahits, you can usually find these pins on eBay and on other Scout auction sites.

Thanks, very much.... I did locate one on ebay, and was successful in getting it. I was just a little confused when what was labeled as a SPL pin, looked alot like the ASPL pin, but I now realize that one preceeded the other. I think I'm going to pick up a square, unissued SPL patch as well, but will present it to him at some point. It would be cool to wear it, but that is a different uniform set.