Hi y'all,

I'm looking for copies (original not reprint) of the 1910 and 1911 BSA Handbook. I don't really have anything to trade and I am poor but will consider a reasonable amount. I have a small collection of handbooks starting with the ones that my dad had when he was a boy and I would like to give him a full set for his birthday. He was so supportive of the program when I was a kid and still helps out to this day.

Attempteed wit and sarcasm aside Scott I think what you are trying to do for your father is very nice.

Since I don't know your age or your experience in buying memorabilia I won't take the same tack that others have taken in answering your question.

You are asking for something that will be very, very difficult to find. Any first edition book that is almost 100 years old will be neither plentiful or cheap. Baden-Powell's 1910 Scouting for Boys, and the BSA's 1911 Official Handbook for Boys in their original are no exception.

I am sure that if you to use the reprints to finish your dad's collection he would understand and really appreciate the gift.

Good Luck

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

lol... I'm 37 and was in scouts for years. I recently got back into it. I saw a "decent" one on Ebay last week for @ $100. I never hurts to ask. I was thinking about using reprints and will probably get them, as they will probably be all that I can find. I'll keep looking, maybe I'll get lucky.

Ah, but a 1913 edition is not an "Original Edition" it is a "First Edition", and the price difference between the two is very great.

I've paid as little as $41 for a 1913 edition softback copy (BSHB-01-07SB) on ebay (this past March), and as much as $450 for a hard cover edition of any earlier printing.

But, for Original Editions, I think it's hard to pay less than $800 or $900 for an acceptable (all pages still attached) book, and probably $500+ for a copy with significant problems (pages missing, pages unattached, covers completely disconnected, etc).

I think one of the nice reproductions of the original edition would be a completely reasonable way to fill out a collection. There are very few Original Editions out there, and a bunch of collectors who will bid a lot on good copies (and even poor copies); the reproductions seem reasonable for this purpose.

-Dave

"Original" is the 1910 two author, BP and Seton, book temporarily issued. Paper is harder to find than hard, probably due to the cove itself, but complete in either version is generally $500+ and can go over $1000.

First edition came out in 1911, and had three printings that year in regular formats, the first two in olive drab, and the last in maroon. First, First can be identified by the ads in the back with Kahuna's reference work.

There actually were 4 printings in 1913, all in maroon, and noted as 5th-8th printings by Kahuna. There are a lot of oddities in the very early years, such as special printings by the YMCA of the 1911 book, in a blue color, variants (hard to tell how or why in some cases, on different paper, or with no ads, and so on; Price was still working on these when he died, trying to clarify, but his book pretty much runs the known variations at this point). The first Every Boys Library hard copy is in 1914; but it was reissued for years afterward, so you need to look at the dates inside. Much that was published the first 5 years or so was done erratically and without good record keeping as to when, how, and why.

There also were officially issued leather and hard backs which are more scarce. In the end, condition is the big decider. Poor or loose copies are out there and go for less than $100 in some cases, but any with spine intact, all the pages still connected, and no rips or heavy soiling, will bring premium prices, depending on the auction.