Many of the other Scouting organizations in the world have/are used/using colored hat pins or plumes for Leadership (Boy & Adult). BSA used colored enameled pins instead of plumes like the UK did. They wore them on the wool felt hat, Stenson I think.

Where can I find reference photos/material on the BSA pins.

Other than Ebay is there a source that I might trade /puchase them?

I have seen pins for sale and I have a hard time telling the differences between the collar insignia and the hat pins.

I am also interested in the plumes from the UK and Canada.

I just found out that the UK is selling a Hat Plume for the "Centenary", it will cost about $40. Kind of pricy, but I guess the 100th aniversary only comes around once.

see: http://www.scouting.outdoors.ltd.uk/acatalog/Page.html

Any help out there?

I am not a big collector, just interested in a couple of them.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

When I was first a scouter in Canada we wore the plumes. I thought that they were very appropriate. At one time every country in the world used them except the US. Basicly because they were the design of our founder B-P.

It is a pity that the uS did not use them as they are much more visible and distingquished than the enamel pins.

today only a few countries in the far east use them. The UK scouts issued two different issues for the Jambo 2007.

I have a small collection of these plumes that I have made over the years and may be able to supply a few to someone who needs.

Iang.

Thanks for the replies.

I know that most of you are interested in BSA stuff but if you have an interest in enamal pins you might want to look at those issued by the Scouts of Thailand. There is a different color/badge for each rank.

These are just plain beautiful, works of art.

They are hard to find. I have a complete set and I might be able to find more for someone really interested.

Sorry I do not know of a site that shows them, you might find them pictured on the sites of various collectors.

The Boy Scouts of Thailand rarely if ever answers email (even WOSM complians about them).

Regards to all.

iang

• 1 month later...

Actually, I found two plumes on eBay with BSA emblems. I assume they are custom made, but I'm gonna wear 'em anyway! One had a red plume and the other green, both with the BSA universal emblem, similar to the standard BSA hat pin. The green plume in every scouting organization is for Scoutmaster, while green is for Assn Scoutmaster- me being the latter.

• 4 weeks later...