As one who has not been to Philmont, I am interested to know about the "Bull" patch that I have seen on red Scout jackets. It's my understanding that if one climbs the Tooth of Time, the patch can be positioned with the tail going over the shoulder seam.

When my son and I go to Philmont, we want to be able to earn this "Badge of Honor" if it's what I think it is. Can someone share their knowledge of this and tell me what kind of trip we have to plan in order to earn it? Thanks!

Having been to Philmont only once, in 1995, I may not be the best person to answer this question. The "bull" patch has been around for as long as I can remember, even as a scout. It probably has been around longer than the Philmont arrowhead patch. The troop I was with in Southern California propagated a similar piece of folklore about the bull, and as folklore it is not bad. As far as I know, there is no special significance atttached to the bull patch officially. The bulls were freely availble for purchase in the Philmont trading post. The arrowheads were handed out only at the closing campfire after we had returned to the base camp. I bought enough bulls for our crew out of my own funds, just so everyone would have one. Anyone know anything different?

In the past the bull patch indicated that you had hiked over the Tooth of Time, Mt. Phillips or Mt. Baldy.

Recently, Philmont has tried to downplay this tradition and now says that anyone can wear the patch with the tail positioned over the shoulder.

The arrowhead is still reserved for those who have completed a Philmont trek.

Thanks, Ridgewalker! Any idea why the change with the bull patch? Does everyone take the trek over the Tooth of Time, Mt. Phillips or Mt. Baldy when they attend Philmont or does one have to plan that trek as part of their trip to Philmont?

I think that National BSA wants to take the mystique out of scouting. They are afraid that anything special will be considered exclusionary or secret, so they are taking a lot of the 'tradition' out of Wood Badge, O/A and Philmont.

Fifteen years ago when I joined Scouting I felt left out because I hadn't done a lot of things or earned a lot of recognitions. Now, these things represent my commitment to Scouting. Who knows what's right.

As to going over the three peaks, you have to pick a specific itinerary that takes you to one or more of the areas.

There are now almost three dozen treks to choose from, and not all of them go over a peak.

However, there's not a bad trek at Philmont. And there's not a perfect one, either. Each is what you make of it. And, exactly the same trek taken a couple years apart will give you an entirely different experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Having been at Philmont in the summer of 1999, the answer we were given regarding the Bull and tail question, before it was even asked from the head of the camp was, "Go buy one at the Camp Store and if you want to put the tail up, go ahead". The reason was that there are so many people out on the trail as it is, they didn't want more going out onto the trails because they wanted it to be a "special experience" for the young men/women already out on the trail.