Adult leader qualifications

National has to run a complete criminal background check on you because of the DUI and that can take sometimes 2-3 weeks alone then there is the review process, probably two more weeks at least.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have a DUI....so if there's anything in your background they do a more detailed check than that of what First Advantage or Lexis-Nexis would do? Anyways I contacted Council (local) today and they told me that I was approved. With that bring said, does that mean that I'm defiantly in as a Den Leader?

I didn't have a DUI... defiantly in as a Den Leader?

I hope you are compliantly in as a den leader! :)

I think this was your last hurdle. Now get as much training and you can spare time for and help those boys have some fun!

What do you mean by compliently.

Sorry, just playing on words. Your earlier post said "defiantly" instead of "definitely" -- auto-corrected, I suspect. Work with your boys for a while and they'll tease you for less.

Sounds like nobody's holding your past against you, and you're on the right track. Have fun at UoS!

paemt = Earlier you stated you had a recent DUI now you are denying it, I have to seriously question your honesty and integrity and what kind of influence you will have on the boys. A scout is honest!

does that mean that I'm defiantly in as a Den Leader?

good job! learn the ropes, find out what needs to be done but as others have said GET TRAINED. Not just online either, thats ok for YPT but get some on hand training.

Awesome! Get Baloo Training, OWLS Trained and IOLS....get all the training you can, Listen to others around you and observe while you have these fantastic outings with others from around the council. Then you will realize "Hey, we aren't doing it right" FIND that passion to lead your boys into the wild and teach them all that can be taugh, in the end the Greatest Satisfaction is them coming up hugging you and saying Thank You!

• 2 months later...

Just want to clarify how the Comprehensive Background checks are going to work/affect volunteers. I am still fairly new to Scouting with just one year Scout Year under my belt.

1. will any adult that is involved with their OWN child need to be have clearances (basically will any and all adults that plan on being at any event need to have clearances)?

2. IF any adult or leader (current or new) has done anything wrong in their lifetime will they be banned from Scouting including just as a Scouting Parent even if they are cleared by the State to work with children? 

3. will an child be asked to not return to Scouting if their parent cannot be cleared or if they can be cleared but their unit isn't comfortable with the adult being there due to a record ?

4. Does the Unit or Council have say in whether or not an adult may be involved in Scouting under new regulations?

5. Does the Unit or Council get the copy of the Background Check/Clearances?

6. Do they need the entire background check or just the clearance letter stating that they are cleared to work with children?

Just because one has paid their debt to society doesn't mean they aren't going to pay for the rest of their lives too.  There are self proclaimed vigilantes out there that will make sure that the past will never be just the past.-