Adult leader qualifications

Your son's standing would be unaffected. Your record is your responsibility to disclose on your application. The Charter Organization is responsible for approving adult applications. Discuss this with him or her when (or before) you turn it in.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one application it says background checks are done by lexis nexus another one says first advantage. Which one does background checks. If its Lexis Nexis which one is it as there's Nexis Lexis that goes out to People Wise (a previous employer used this service and that's where my copy came from) then there's one for Lexis Nexis Court Link. I get that my sons standing would not be affected but on another note if i am denied leadership position due to a criminal history can i be banned from even being at the meetings or functions? Is there a listing of disqualifying factors for leaders?

I have tried to post this numerous times but i keep an database error and it wont post.

Have you changed your life around? Meaning you are not hanging around people that could possibly put you in those situations again? Talk with the CM and ACM along with the COR if your heart is in the right place I cant see them turning you done, IF your life has changed. Remember that when you become a DL or any type of leader in Scouting YOU then REFLECT the Scouting Values and be a good Stewart.

I've done a little work in my State's Legislative Assembly to try and bring some common sense to exclusions for previous crimes, although specifically in the area of caring for the elderly. A person who had a run-in with the law 15 years ago, but has kept his or her nose clean since deserves some leeway. Some things are lifetime bans, others not so much.

There are some who believe "once a criminal, always a criminal" and would not trust somebody with any kind of record. Redemption is possible, but it does require the kind of commitment to staying out of trouble, as paemt notes above. Sometimes trouble comes because you invite it over, but sometimes it shows up by accident. We should strive to recognize the difference.

Once one pays their debt to society, the punishment is over, unless one sets themselves up as judge, jury and executioner and adds punishment beyond what the law states. I have worked with people who have fallen into this category and the chicken/egg thing always results. 1) they can't get a job, their friends are limited, the stigma is always there to remind them and their only option is to skirt any possibility of rehab that isn't going to get one anywhere anyway. 2) Spend the rest of one's life looking for that one person who will give them a second chance.

It's not that these people want to go back to the "old ways", but society keeps them prisoner regardless of whether there are bars and guards or not. Once these people are convinced that they will never be free, it's just a matter of time before they give up and go back to the system that will at least take care of them.

I guess it all depends on how strongly one believes in "help other people at all times."

Stosh

As a former DE who handled a similar case with a potential volunteer, a RECENT DUI conviction will disqualify you because of possible risk to the youth and BSA policies regarding felony convictions. The CO has no authority to override BSA National's decision.

Cubmaster721, I'm responding to your reply from last June. A recent local event brought it all back to me again, as it has so many times: a drunk driver with a record that goes back to the early 1970s killed three persons and himself in a multi-car collision. The 'system' had many opportunities to end his ability to kill and the system failed miserably. So to your reply about my anger last June, I can only say that it isn't anger that a drunk will see in my eye when we meet. It will be something much colder than that.

A drunk is like a hand grenade with the pin pulled. If given the opportunity, a drunk driver will go off someday at an unpredictable time and the only hope that I have is that the drunk will be alone in an excruciatingly painful death. My anger, in the meantime, is directed at persons and the system who would give 'second chances', or thirds or fourths - to these undeserving persons.

A single DUI conviction should be a permanent disqualification for BSA.

This is a reply to Jason G.....So I turned my Application in and was told by the CM that the CC and another individual whom I think is the CO would be signing the application this week and that Council would have it by the end of this week. I was also advised to take register for University of Scouting. With this all being said, is this a good sign that I will be approved?

• 3 weeks later...

How long does it take for an Adult Application to be approved and and for the Applicant to be notified if they were approved or not? Its been about 3 weeks since I submitted my application.

"It depends". If you hear nothing, all to the good. If you were found wanting in any respect, you would hear ASAP.

Now that doesn't mean your Council will do it right the first time. Your app may still be sitting on the shelf at the Council office. Some years ago, we discovered the secretary in charge of such things put the apps on "her" shelf as she received them, the last one on the top of the pile, so to speak. And then took the first one off the top of the pile to process. Guess what? She never thought about the order they had been received. The bottom of the stack languished until someone (like you) asked the SE about it and they investigated.