• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attend Round Tables, and network with other Scouters. No need to keep reinventing the wheel.

Go through and do the advancement requirements for each of the lower ranks

Attend training sessions to improve outdoor skills...

Set the example...be ready to walk the talk...

• 6 months later...

Plan FUN and HANDS ON meetings for your Cubs. Cubs really LOVE doing over sitting and listening. Be creative! I'm very crafty plus a woodworker so I made many things that were long lasting that could be showcased in one's home. Clocks, picture frames, pin holder frame, family tree collage for Heritage, centerpieces for Blue and Gold. I also did some fun different things like visit the vet, the local dump, do rockets, and etc. Scouts have an enormous amount of curiosity and love going 'behind the scene' to see the workings of things they see everyday.

When you are planning see if you can do multiples like a beltloop at the same time as a rank advancement. It saves work on you and encourages more interest in the scouts while broadening their horizons.

Thanks Eagle for posting that presentation.

This thread is interesting and applicable to me. I just recently stepped up to be assistant den leader. (well I volunteered around about Christmas but it never went anwhere, untill I approached my son's DL and CM at the Blue & Gold in Februrary. Anyway, I still feel like I'm getting my footing....

I just recently sent a message to our district to learn more about baloo and any other traing I might attend..... I've already done all of the on-line stuff for this year's Tiger and next years Wolf.

Thanks Eagle for posting that presentation.

This thread is interesting and applicable to me. I just recently stepped up to be assistant den leader. (well I volunteered around about Christmas but it never went anwhere, untill I approached my son's DL and CM at the Blue & Gold in Februrary. Anyway, I still feel like I'm getting my footing....

I just recently sent a message to our district to learn more about baloo and any other traing I might attend..... I've already done all of the on-line stuff for this year's Tiger and next years Wolf.

Hello blw2,

Besides the on line training, there is training presented by experienced leaders usually following a training syllabus.

That can be worth taking. I teach the Tiger Cub Den Leader training at our council annual training event.

The national slideshow that follows the syllabus is at:

http://rochesternyweb.com/Troop%2048/Training/Tiger.pdf

You might be interested in looking through that, although you lose a lot without my running commentary of practical experience and explanation that should go along with it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

DEFINITELY attend the round tables. The leaders who attend the round tables are generally the most active/enthusiastic. We have gotten help/aid from other packs/troops in our district by going to the round tables and making connections with these other leaders. If we need boy scouts to help with an event we have several troop leaders we know we can call who will be excited and happy to send his boys over. If we want to do an activity with another Pack in the area, there are several cubmasters who are always looking to get their pack involved in things.

Even if you are just a Den Leader, making these connections can definitely help you out and give you a network of people for advice/help during the year.

Great thread! I wish I knew of this forum when I started last year. My first piece of advice would be to establish a relationship with the other den leaders in your pack....especially those of older dens than yours. They have been there, done that. Learn from their mistakes and then pass your own lessons to the guy coming up behind you.

Get to know the parents. Find out their strengths and talents, and get them involved immediately. Not all will want to be up in front of the group, but they can help in some capacity.

Don't be too proud to scrap a meeting plan. Sometimes the best laid plans give the worst results. If the boys are bored or restless there's no shame in breaking out and just playing a game.

Get outside! Its been said already, but most people hear "scouts" and think camping, fishing, hiking....not craft time.

• 7 months later...

I have recently taken over the Cm position for our Pack and am wanting to improve communications amongst leaders and parents. One way that came to mind was to start a Facebook page, or group. I want to make sure I follow all the rules and do things correctly.

I had originally thought about a private group that parents were all welcome to join, then I found that is a direct violation of Scouting rules. Public pages appear to be encouraged by BSA. I created a public page and now one of the parents has told me that we cain't post specifics about events, such as exact time locations of events, etc.

In my opinion, this negates a large portion of the basis for the page. Additionally, I fail to see any reason to withhold this information. Obviously I would not post any information about individual scouts, such as full name or address...

Your thoughts? Are your packs online? What info do you post?

Mc,

I have no idea why a private group would be unauthorized.

Somebody will alwayss complain about something. Has this parent complained about any cub scout signs in the lawn so yours and other COs? Many of this have the date of their meeting night.

That said, I would try to be respectful about how most folks are doing things in your area. Check with your DE or go to roundtable.

By the way, don't expect FB to be any more efficient than a well managed mailing list. If you really care about covering everybody, make sure you still send snail-mail for one or two big eventts.

There is nothing wrong with a private FB group. That simply means it is open only to members of your Pack. In Cub Scouts that should be only adults. There would only be a problem if your FB page was open to you, and youth members ONLY.

For the public part of the page i would leave it with your main Pack info - Charter Org, / contact info for further information. / Council info. You can put that same info on the BSA BeAScout site - [url=https://beascout.scouting.org/]https://beascout.scouting.org/[/url=https://beascout.scouting.org/] .

Ask your DE how to update, or add, your pin.