Bank account for self-chartered pack?

A CO has many duties/responsibilities/uses to the unit. By charter (ask the Council for a copy. Read the small print): a CO "should" provide a place for the unit to meet (your self charter might rent or use someones rec room), provide financial stability, approve the unit leadership, and just "be there" for the unit. Obviously, some are "hands off", some are "controlling".

A unit blessed with a good CO will benefit from a stable place to meet, store things, a wall to hang certificates on, tax advantages, Dutch Uncle help, publicity, financial help and counsel, lots of things. Continuity comes to mind.

We home school, Scoutson's Troop is Chartered to a Methodist Church. Our overseeing home school group was once considering chartering a Scout unit, but the HS families decided to stay with their original Troops/Packs.

CO's can be any responsible organization. I know of Scout units sponsored by Lions Clubs, Vol. Fire Cos. , American Legions, PTAs, churches, mosques, even a hardware store.

Poke around, you might find a sympathetic something to be your CO!

Thanks for everyone's comments and information on self-chartering.

I have learned a lot and have forwarded parts of this thread to my DE. We are going to renew our search for a CO.

Thank you all for wanting to spare me a lot more misery and frustration!! :)

Mimi

SSScout's suggestion is a good one.

Since you want to be exclusively for home schooled boys, your local home school association could be perfect as your CO. Talk to your DE about helping you make this happen.

BSA has a powerpoint presentation that might help with talking points to convince them -

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/ppt/csa.ppt

Good Luck!

• 2 months later...

We have just created a troop with parents forming the CO. The main reason we

went this way is EVERYTHING YOU HAVE IN YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS, ALL GEAR, TRAILERS,

EVERYTHING IS OWNED BY THE CO - even tho you have paid for it and even if they have

done nothing. Our former troop had a CO that did nothing, including coming to the

meetings - they did provide a place to meet. The troop committee got out of control

and we learned the hard way that if it's troop related, it's the chartering organization's

property and money. Be Very Careful who is your CO