Women and siblings on campouts

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We recently had 5 new scouts cross over.  One included a single parent who asked if she could go on the first overnighter, and bring a younger sibling along.  We welcomed her to join the trip, but exp

Sounds like two issues here, one is underage siblings regardless of sex on a scout campout and the other the rather misogynistic leanings of your adults.   Number one, underage siblings have no

Daughter shouldn't go on standard Troop campouts.   Regarding the Mom--There should be the same rule for attendance by any parent, regardless of sex. First rule - no excessive interference by pare

7 hours ago, Meb said:

If a person pays their full dues they should not be excluded from any scouting events based on gender. It is discrimination. 

dug deep pulling up a 9 year old post

and no one said anything about excluding a due paying Scout or Scouter from events.  The original post asked about an unregistered Mom and underage sibling

We recently had 5 new scouts cross over.  One included a single parent who asked if she could go on the first overnighter, and bring a younger sibling along.  We welcomed her to join the trip, but explained the differences she should expect on the campout, in contrast to cub scouts.  At the same time, we told her the younger sibling would not likely find the activities interesting, and that his presence might detract from the event, but would be more than welcome at our annual family campout.  She agreed, and made other arrangements for the younger sibling.  I see the bigger issue being new parents, whether a mother or a father, understanding they are not present to be a mom or dad to their own scout, but to give their children room and to allow them to function within the patrol/troop.  That is an issue with some of our older scouts as well, who too often run to dad (ASM) to ask a question, instead of their PL or SPL before running to mom or dad troop leader.  Communicating expectations at the onset goes along way.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
28 minutes ago, Jeff1974 said:

... One included a single parent who asked if she could go on the first overnighter, and bring a younger sibling along.  We welcomed her to join the trip, but explained the differences she should expect on the campout, in contrast to cub scouts.  At the same time, we told her the younger sibling would not likely find the activities interesting, and that his presence might detract from the event, but would be more than welcome at our annual family campout.  She agreed, and made other arrangements for the younger sibling. 

Unless they are Webelos, I have never had good experiences with siblings attending, except 1 family camp out. As a youth, the accompanying siblings ruined a trip we had planned for a year, and caused damage at the facility we were staying out so we never even thought of going back because of them. We never had another family camp out until all of the youth at the time had aged out. No one ever wanted a repeat of that experience.

Even when my own son was a Webelos, I had some challenges with him. First time they were major, and I had to step away to deal with him instead of dealing with the Scouts. Siblings can be a major distraction.

33 minutes ago, Jeff1974 said:

I see the bigger issue being new parents, whether a mother or a father, understanding they are not present to be a mom or dad to their own scout, but to give their children room and to allow them to function within the patrol/troop.  

Understatement.Some of you know from other posts how two sets of parents who wanted a continuation of Cub Scouts caused me and my sons to leave a troop, and nearly destroyed it. Despite the Scouts and a few Scouters complaining, it took me leaving before the rest of the Scouters to see the problem, and the CO to finally put their foot down and intervene. I am told the troop is doing a lot better now.

37 minutes ago, Jeff1974 said:

That is an issue with some of our older scouts as well, who too often run to dad (ASM) to ask a question, instead of their PL or SPL before running to mom or dad troop leader.  Communicating expectations at the onset goes along way.  

Key questions to remember when in the situation: "Have you asked your PL?" And if they are the PL, " Have you asked your SPL?" :) Unfortunately  after oldest's term as a PL, I could no longer ask those two questions. The troop elected him SPL, and I had to deal with him. ;)

22 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Key questions to remember when in the situation: "Have you asked your PL?" And if they are the PL, " Have you asked your SPL?" :) Unfortunately  after oldest's term as a PL, I could no longer ask those two questions. The troop elected him SPL, and I had to deal with him. ;)

i still asked mine "have you asked the other adults before you came to me".  In some situations I would also have to ask "are you asking me as dad or as adult leader?".  

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

The troop elected him SPL, and I had to deal with him.

🤩

I have occasionally responded to an SPL question with a couple of questions - 1) is it safe?  2) if that answer is yes, what do you think you should do?  If where and how he wants the scouts to set up camp on a backpacking or kayaking trip does not present any safety hazards, it then becomes his decision.  Sometimes that becomes a learning experience, like the ones whose response to 'are you sure that is where you want to put your tent' was yeah, why not.  They learned why not early the next morning when taking the tent down after heavy dew, only to find out what happens when that tent is pitched on Florida sand rather than in the grass like everyone else.  I am fairly sure they will not do that again.

Edited by MikeS72