Looking for help with new pack duties....

Hi all,

I'm the new ASM, and now Pack Growth Coordinator, Outing Planner, and psrtial Pack Trainer. I'm looking for help on how to do these jobs. I found some basic outline plans for each one, but I'm looking for some real-world examples....mainly for PGC....

Thanks!!!

I can tell that you are energized & want to get involved, & that is a GOOD thing!.

However -

You are also brand new to Scouting. You have taken the online courses (GREAT START!), attended a Pow Wow (don't know what courses you took there but they are usually informative & fun), are taking Leader Specific today (I am assuming for Cubmaster since you say you originally volunteered as Asst CM (not ASM different program!) & hopefully New Leader Essentials as well), and are taking First Aid next weekend (if it is the all day training w/CPR included for just $20 it is a DEAL!).

You are still BRAND NEW, with little or no practical experience under your belt, & it sounds to me like you might be biting off more than you should right now.

Here is what you have taken on :

ACM - or as designated by the Cubmaster -

Help the Cubmaster as needed. Be ready to fill in for the Cubmaster, if necessary.

Complete Cubmaster Fast Start Training and position-specific Basic Leader Training. Attend monthly roundtables.

Participate in pack meetings.

Supervise den chiefs and see that they are trained.

Conduct the monthly den chief planning meeting for all den leaders, assistant den leaders, and den chiefs to plan and coordinate weekly den meetings and pack meeting participation.

Work with neighborhood troops that supply den chiefs and into which Webelos Scouts may graduate.

Help inform pack leaders of training opportunities and arrange for them to attend training sessions.

Work with the pack committee to develop and promote an ongoing plan for recruiting new boys.

Work with the Cubmaster and pack committee on pack reregistration.

Help with pack activities, such as dinners, derbies, bike safety workshops, service projects, etc.

Work with the pack committee on outings to see that the pack and dens qualify for the National Summertime Pack Award.

Participate in the annual pack program planning conference and pack leaders' meetings.

Promote the religious emblems program.

Support the policies of the BSA.

PACK GROWTH COORDINATOR - I have never heard of this position. The closest I could come to this would be the MEMBERSHIP & REGISTRATION CHAIR which is a member of the Pack Committee -

Prepare reregistration papers and an annual report to the chartered organization. Secure signatures and registration fees for the coming year.

Ask the chartered organization representative to submit a charter application and annual report to the chartered organization for approval.

Arrange for periodic uniform inspections with the unit commissioner. At least a month before charter expiration, also arrange for the annual membership inventory, a uniform inspection, and the annual charter review meeting.

Help the Cubmaster and chartered organization representative plan and conduct the formal charter presentation.

Conduct an annual census of boys in the chartered organization for systematic recruitment. Work with pack committee members to promote recruitment plans.

Visit new families in their homes. Review with them the Bobcat requirements and "Parent Guide" in their son's handbook. Emphasize the part that the family plays in their son's advancement. Stress parent/guardian participation at all pack functions and see that new families are introduced and feel welcome at pack meetings.

Work with the Cubmaster and pack committee to develop and carry out a plan for year-round membership growth.

Work with the Cubmaster and pack committee to see that

eligible Tiger Cubs transition into a Wolf den at the appropriate time.

eligible Wolf Cub Scouts or 9-year-old Cub Scouts transition into a Bear den at the appropriate time.

eligible Bear Cub Scouts or 10-year-old Cub Scouts transition into a Webelos den at the appropriate time.

Webelos Scouts and parents or guardians have a smooth transition into a Boy Scout troop.

Work with the Cubmaster in following up on former pack members who are now Boy Scouts and potential den chiefs.

Follow up on Cub Scout dropouts to help return them to full, active membership.

OUTINGS PLANNER - Also a Pack Committee Member position -

Help the Cubmaster plan and arrange for outdoor activities.

Arrange for property, fire, and tour permits when required.

Locate new picnic areas.

Arrange for safe transportation when needed.

Plan first aid for emergencies.

Help Webelos den leaders plan Webelos overnight campouts. Help arrange for equipment, as needed.

Arrange for Safe Swim Defense implementation for all outings involving swimming.

Plan outings to help pack and dens qualify for the National Summertime Pack Award.

Help inform parents and guardians about opportunities for family camping. Ensure that at least one adult has completed Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO) before any pack campout.

Help promote day camp and resident camp opportunities.

Be aware of BSA health and safety requirements and see that they are implemented.

Know and carry out BSA outdoor program policy related to Cub Scouting. Review all activities to ensure that unit leaders comply with BSA policies in the Guide to Safe Scouting.

PACK TRAINER -

Conducting orientation of new families and pack leaders

Encouraging pack leaders to attend Cub Scout Leader Basic Training, which includes New Leader Essentials and Cub Scout Leader Specific Training

Helping with Unit Leadership Enhancements during pack leaders' meetings

Conducting other training as designated by the district and/or council

Encouraging pack leaders to attend ongoing training such as Youth Protection training, roundtable, pow wow, BALOO, Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders, and Wood Badge

Remaining current with training material and program updates

Keeping track of pack training records

Encouraging den chiefs to attend Den Chief Training

ASST DEN LEADER - WOLF DEN - You had stated this in one of your other posts -

Help the den leader as needed.

Carry out the duties assigned by the den leader.

Be ready to fill in for the den leader in case of an emergency.

Help establish a close working relationship with the den leader and den chief, functioning with them as a den leadership team.

Complete Cub Scout den leader Fast Start Training and position-specific Basic Leader Training. Attend monthly roundtables.

Attend pack meetings and help as needed.

Take part in the annual pack program planning conference and pack leaders' meetings.

Attend the monthly den chief planning meeting for den leaders, assistant den leaders, and den chiefs.

Work in harmony with other den and pack leaders.

Support the policies of the BSA.

These are position responsibilities as outlined by BSA.

This is enough work to get an experienced Scouter burned out in 1 week, much less someone who has been in the program for only 3 months!!

Slow down!

Pick ONE job that you are REALLY interested in doing and do ONLY that ONE job. Do it well. Learn about your Pack, your District, your Council & BSA as you go.

Next year, after you have a real feel for your Pack & den, have a better understanding of the time & effort that is needed to do some of these jobs well, & have a better understanding of how much of your time you can realistically give, then you can consider volunteering for ONE more thing.

Doing to many things, to soon, will lead to many of them not being done well & to you getting burned out completely.

With 80+ boys in your Pack, there is absolutely no reason for YOU to do all of these things! Your Committee Chair should be able to easily find a few more volunteers to fill these positions.

What scoutnut said is right on. What you have described are all full time jobs in their own right. Remember, SCouting is supposed to be fun for you, too. With the exception of ACM, the other positions should be covered by pack committee members. The CM, ACM and den leaders are not technically members of the pack committee, but their job is to carry out the program. The pack committee plans and funds the program, and handles the "business" stuff.

What they said.

Be careful you don't do too much, even if you are able. Please get with your Committee Chair and CM and talk about who will call on whom to ask them to take on a couple of these responsibilities. Reasons:

**Personal burnout. Already addressed. Which often leads to...

**Personal life neglect. Scouting is a noble calling, but be aware of the needs of your own family and career and psyche.

**Training up the next generation. If you are the only capable Cubber in the Pack, who's there to take over when you 'graduate'? How do you 'pass on' the corporate memory? Get others involved so as to avoid...

**Jealousy. "Oh, I could never be as good as dsantos". Why should they try? Don't become "THE PACK PERSON" even if you could. Encourage and Ask. Many are willing, They will help, but not until They are asked.

**Exampling. All that being said, one good example can lead and suggest the possibility. But several average efforts can suggest to others "well, if she can't do it, how could little ole me make a difference?"

Meantime, KiSMiF...

Thanks all for the advice. Further investigations into the total duties of the "Pack Growth Coordinator" reveal that this is a full time job for more than 1 person. My game plan for now is to simply put together schedules and programs, etc, and then hand them off to the CC for her to delegate to the best fitted person for the job. My son's den leader informed me, at his den meeting on monday, that she wants me to take over the den next year, and all the other parents were in favor of it. Being an assistant cubmaster afforded me a lot of "overlap" into other duties and positions since it didn't require any major amount of direct focus on any one small group. Being a den leader is obviously more specialized, and therefor doesn't leave much time for anything else......and that is as it ought to be. But hopefully I can get as much training in as possible beforehand and set in place enough of a foundation so as to make the next person's job easier....

Oh My Goodness...

Such a compliment...

"All the other parents were in favor of it"

That is compliment indeed. I would certainly say thank you to those Parents for their vote of confidence. Then...

They must realize that being a successful DL is a full time job. Have you made the other parents aware that if you take on DL, one of them (?a couple of them?) need to take up the reins you put down?

Oh, I did enjoy my Cub Leader years. What I did not enjoy was the number of parents that told me "wow, you're really good at that (DL, CM, WDL, Event planner, etc), I could never do that" and so they didn't. Often, no amount of encouragement, or training opportunities or exampling would convince them.

Often, the only way to get more parent involvment was to ask and ask and then back away and let the boys risk disappointment. Then, the "I could never do that" folks found out, yes they could.

So, KiSMiF