So. Cal. Scout Camps ??

We are beginning to think about Summer Camp for next year. I was not real satisfied with the camp we attended last summer. My Scouts have also expressed a desire to attend somewhere else. I would like to draw from the experience out there. I would appreicate any information that can be provided regarding Scout Camps in the Southern California area.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Scoutmaster,Troop 410

I don't know what council you are in or what camps you have attended. We used to live in Southern California and I have some experience with camps there. Our unit was in the Ventura County Council, but our boys routinely preferred the Emerald Bay Camp on Catalina Island. This is one of two camps on Catalina. I think the other is called Cherry Valley. Emerald Bay has a very strong aquatics program and offers oceanography merit badge. I personally never made it to Emerald Bay.

Our council's own camp is called Camp Three Falls. I never went there for summer camp, but it seemed to be a decent facility with a good size pool and a small lake for aquatics, and all the other normal things you expect to find at camp.

The one camp I went to that I would avoid is Camp Pitchess in the San Bernardino Mountains. This is in a cluster of camps operated by the Greater LA council (or least it was). The one year I went there with our unit, they had a good staff, but limited physical plant.

Another camp our unit went to was Camp Oljato in the Sierras. I am not sure which council operates this camp. It is on a mid sized reservoir on one of the rivers coming down into the central valley and also offers a full range of aquatic programs.

Now that we live in Northern California our unit goes to Camp Royaneh operated by the San Francisco council. Of those camps I have personally visited or stayed at, this is the best. They do not have a boating program, but they do have horseback riding.

• 3 weeks later...