committee chairman’s reasonability’s

What are the committee chairmans reasonabilitys?

I have been thru all the training but I think there is more to it than just what they train you for.

1) What power does the committee chairman have over the S.M., C.M decisions?

2) Is it the CC reasonability to make sure that all the leaders come to the meetings?

I think that it is up to the leaders to come on their own!

Please help me find out exactly what the CC reasonability are.

In a Cub pack, I always thought of the CC as "the man behind the curtain" who pulls the strings and makes everything run smoothly. Whereas the CM is the "Master of Ceremonies" who makes everything sparkle and weaves the several dens together into a pack. The DLs are the ones who "get dirty" down in the trenches on a weekly basis, giving the program to the boys.

In a nutshell, it's the job of the committee to support the program. Making sure the boys and adult leaders get what they need to run the program. The CC's job is to make sure the committee does its job.

Thank you both.

I do understand that I am to make sure that the pack or troop runs smooth.

But is it my responsibility to get committee members or to make sure that they come to the meetings.

We have a new CM and I think he is going to try to take over the committee to make everything go as he sees fit but im not going to let that happen that is the reason I am asking how much Authority does the CC have over the CM.

Thanks

As Pack Committee Chair you, along with your COR, are responsible for recruiting the Pack's leadership. You also are responsible for appointing/recruiting members of the committee (advancement, secretary, treasurer, etc). You form special committees (B&G, PWD, etc). You run the monthly committee meetings & handle recharter & other Pack business aspects.

Running the Pack should not be a power struggle to see who is "Top Dog". That will only hurt the Pack in the long run. The COR, CC & CM are a TEAM. You should work TOGETHER. That said, the COR and the Head of the CO, are the ones who have any real "power". The CO owns the unit & can "hire" & "fire" at will.

If you have been thru Committee training, then you should already know all of this. Sit down with your CM & talk things out.

BTW - Nobody can FORCE someone to attend a meeting. They either show up or not. If remembering meeting dates/times seems to be a problem with folks, you could have your Committee Secretary send out monthly reminders.

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

Please dont get the wrong idea. I am not trying to have a power struggle with anyone its just that we have a real big pack of about 100 kids & I just dont want this guy to do anything to mess it up for the kids.

He is new and the existing CM had picked him for the role of CM.

But he is very headstrong and wants to do things his own way.

I just think I need to sit down and tell him how the committee works & let him know that if the committee decides on something then thats the way it will go.

Thanks for the help!!!

The outgoing CM can recommend a candidate for his replacement, but it is not his decision. It is the committee and COR that SELECT the best candidate for the position. Had the committee made the final selection, perhaps his attitude towards the committee might be different.

I'd suggest that the you and the committee familiarize yourselves as to exactly what the Cubmaster's job is. Does your committee have copies of the Cub Leader Handbook? He could make life miserable for den leaders too.

Hi Dave,

Congratulatioons on a pack with 100+ Cub Scouts! Sounds like you must have a good program being provided tou your boys.

It looks like FScouter has focused on a key issue here. Cubmasters don't determine their replacment. The application for the Cubmaster position requires your signature as committee chairperson and the signature of a representative of Saint Daniel the Prophet Church. So if those approvals have not been given the Cubmaster is not actually the Cubmaster. Food for thought.

Yours Truly in Scouting,

Rick

FScouter and rpushies hit the nail on the head. Perhaps there was some misconception that was passed on from the last CM as to the measure of responsibility that a CM has and his role in the Pack?

Hopefully it is more of a misunderstanding rather than an abrasive situation.

Good luck!

Jerry

Chapter 23 of the Cub Leader Handbook has about 12 pages of discussion about all the adult leader positions, responsibilities, and how they work together. A review of that chapter at a pack committee meeting might be beneficial.

• 10 months later...

Remember...The Cub Master is responsible to the boys. It is up to him to make sure the boys are advancing in rank, and in doing that sets the direction of the pack. It is up to the CC to help the CM carry out his ideas and suggestions.

Another thing to remember, is that everyone on the committee will have great ideas from time to time (a broken clock is right 2x's a day) and he/she might be able to come up with great ideas.

Even though your pack may be strong in numbers, it is easy to get caught in the trap of "this is the way we have always done it", and he might have some great new ideas to "spruce" things up a bit.

I came from a pack, that almost certain we wouldn't be a pack now had I not taken the initiative. My first year as CC I had many "hats". 3/4ths of the time I was also acting as the CM, and so it was up to me to set the direction of the pack. We have gone from painfully boring meetings to extremely fun ones, that the boys can't wait to attend. We come from a pack that never had meetings out doors or went camping...now we have about 2 meetings a year outside, and about 3 campouts a year! You should've seen the first time we had a meeting outside...I never got a shower because the phone wouldn't stop ringing because it had rained all week and was still raining that day, and are we going to still have it outside, and even if it stopped raining it was going to be all muddy (boo-hoo)...hehe...anyways, I told them all that we were scouts, not mice, wear shoes that could get muddy and take a hot shower when they got home!...Turns out it was one of the best meetings ever!!! Parents then realized I had some great ideas and were more enthusiastic about helping out and offering up some other great ideas as well...Now I have a committee of about a dozen parents where before I was lucky to have 3 show up!

Don't be afraid to try some of the new ideas...what is the worst that could possibly happen?...One bad meeting? Chalk it up to experience and move forward....and have a back up plan ;-)....Good Luck!

This is one of those kinds of situations where I think all the leaders need to sit down and understand their role to the pack. I'm not trying to push Wood Badge, but this is where the course teaches the Four Phases of Team Building. Step one (Forming) is getting organized and understanding 1. the goal of the pack, and 2. what each person's role is toward that goal. Step 2 (Storming) which is usally where the team hammers out each others boundaries to their roles or jobs. The more your team understands the team goal and their specific part to the team at the begining of the team building, the less storming or frustration each member of the team will have to endure as the pack works with your sons.

So I suggest getting everyone, not just the SM, but everyone to a meeting to read and learn what the BSA says is the pack's goal, and what each persons responsibilities are toward reaching that goal. Let the discussion start after that.

Hope that helps.

Barry

I know its not "politically correct" to say this, but the fact is, the CM (or SM) reports to the Committee.

The Committee is responsible for recruiting unit leadership, including the CM (or SM), with approval by the COR. And the CC chairs the Committee.

That doesn't mean the CM (or SM) "reports" to the CC. As a former Pack CC, I found my role was to support the CM by ensuring that the Committee lined up whatever resources were needed (e.g., fundraising, reserving facilities, arranging training, etc.).

The CC and CM (SM) ideally should work as a team. The CC and Committee are responsible for the background stuff like budgets and paperwork, while the CM and DLs were responsible for delivering the program to the boys in a Pack Meeting or den meeting.

If the CC and CM (SM) can't work together as a team, then its time to sit down with the COR (and a UC, if you have one) to come to a mutually acceptable arrangement.

Remember: is all about the boys -- its not about adult egos.