This isn't school you don't repeat a grade. I would treat these boys just as I would treat a boy who came into the den at the beginning of Web II.

They have until you cross over to complete Webelo Rank, earn Arrow of Light and earn any of the activity pens. But once they leave 5th grade they go into the Boy Scout Troop.

(This message has been edited by Lynda J)

Hi and Welcome.

I have to admit to not understanding what you mean when you say "so as to not hold back the other scouts".

All advancement and almost all recognition in Scouting is done on the individual basis.

If these Lads want to come back, I would welcome them. They then can choose to do everything that they can to make up the requirements that they have missed or they can just join in with whatever the Den is doing, knowing that when the time comes they will cross over into the Troop without the AOL.

I think a chat with their parents would be a good idea.

Eamonn.

Welcome to the forum,

I ditto everything eamonn said. It is your responsibility to offer a good program that gives opportunities for advancement. If an individual chooses not to take advantage of the offer, that is their decision and they don't earn the rank. Simple as that, rank advancement is an opportunity to be taken advantage of, not a right.

I have 1 of my 4 WebII that blew off things we did last year. He either didn't show up for meetings or chose not to do activities that we were doing. I don't look for him to get his Webelos badge or AOL. Then another of the boys, that did really good last year, hasn't shown up to a meeting yet this year. The third one is showing more interest as we go along in this year. The fourth boy has his Webelos badge, is really close to his AOL, and is anxious to join Boy Scouts.

All we can do is offer the program to them and hope that we are making it interesting enough that they want to take advantage of it.

I guess this problem comes in a couple of areas: 1--Kids aren't showing up and when they do the parents demanding why aren't they receiving awards. I've tried the "you've got to be in it to win it" theory but they're a bit dense. 2 -- Some of the other boys as well as their parents who attend regularlly feel slighted b/c these two are disruptive to the flow of the den meetings. 3 -- Finally, the phrase 2nd year Webloes II has a connotation that you've been there for 2 years. Much like as in school

jdm,

Congratulations on getting them to come back! Welcome them back like long lost best friends!! Sure, they've missed out on the opportunity to work with the rest of the Den on the activity pins they've missed, but that shouldn't be a surprise. Nor should they be made to feel bad because they aren't wearing as many. Their reasons for going inactive aren't as important as getting them plugged back in and having fun. If they're motivated, I'm sure you can come up with some extra help to get them the opportunity to earn the Webelos badge and you probably aren't too far ahead with Arrow of Light to catch up.

As the others have already said, Webelos II doesn't necessarily mean they've already been a Webelos for a year. It just means this is their last year in Webelos If these 2 guys brought in a buddy right now who had never before worn a Cub Scout uniform, he'd also be a Webelos II. (Only difference is he'd start by earning his Bobcat pin.)

In the grand scheme of things, missing a year isn't a big deal. They still have a year of Cubbing and at least 7 as a Boy Scout to look forward to. Or maybe lots more, as most of us can attest!

I can relate to these guys. I dropped out of Boy Scouts for 6-8 months many moons ago. When I was finally talked into coming back to give it a try, I was surprised at the positive response I got, soon loved it, eventually became a strong leader in the troop, and earned Eagle. My oldest son did the same thing with the same results. Maybe these guys just took their break a little early.

All the best,

-mike