Firstly, I am not new to Scouting. I have been a member of the Scouts del Ecuador since '99. I am a Assistant Scoutmaster have completed woodbadge training, in Ecuador, but will not recieve the recognition until I turn 18. When I finnish this schoolyear, I will go and live in the US. I would like to know what possibilities there are for me in the BSA.

-JMM

It's good to see another international scouter on these forums. Welcome! I am not at all familiar with Ecuadorian Scouting, so I don't know if the positions are comparable, but at age 18 the only position open to you in a Boy Scout troop is Assitant Scoutmaster. Once you get to the states, contact your local council (www.scouting.org can help you find a phone number) introduce yourself to them, and see if they have any suggestions on how you can help out.

How old do you have to be to be a Scoutmaster?

I am planning on going to college at the University of New Orleans, if it reopens. I would like to join Scouting there. This will be fall of '06.

Do you know anything about APO?

I also have read about ScoutingVale La Pena < http://www.scoutingvalelapena.org/index.e.html >. Do you know anything about this? I have tried to see if there is something like that in New Orleans, but cannot find any information.

Thanks for your help.

I am associated with another Southern academic institution. I have learned that U. of New Orleans will be effectively closed for at least one semester. We just had one of their faculty join ours temporarily and students from there are being admitted here (bending a few admission rules in the process) at least temporarily. What position did you plan to accept there, just curious?

Minimum age for ASM is 18; 21 for SM.. And it's a good idea to go through Scoutmaster Fundamentals a.s.a.p. It involves a full day of classroom lecture and some practical work, a patrol meeting (You will be assigned to a patrol.), and the Outdoor Experience, a weekend campout emphasizing the Patrol Method. If you comfortable in the outdoors, you will not have any problems. Also, you will see the universality of the scouting movement. If you did things by patrols in Equador, you are that much ahead of the game. Oh, yeah . . . have fun!

BTW, what's your "favorite critter"?