recruiting tiger den leaders

We used a parent who was already in the Pack as permanent Tiger Leader (me). By February or March I know the parents well enough to be able to ask 2 to be the leaders once the boys go to Wolf. It has worked very well for us. The parents don't feel pressured and get a chance to pretty much talk themselves into it by March!

A good choice to look at would be your Webelos parents. They have been with the Pack for 5 years, know how it is run & might like to stay with the Pack instead of moving to Boy Scouts.

We pre-recruit Tiger Leaders as much as possible. Most of the time, we will have at least 2 or 3 incoming Tiger's that have older siblings in the Pack. We look at these parents and see if they are potential leaders. Also, since we're a small community-based pack, we know the kids that are of age to be Tigers in the coming year, and we look for good candidates in that group. We try to "pre-sell" the parents on the idea of Cub Scouting and being the leader. Over the past seven or eight years, I believe we only went into one school night not knowing who our Tiger Leader was going to be.

Also, at school night, we emphasize that Tiger leadership is very much a "team sport". All parents need to be involved, and the Tiger Leader's job is primarily to pull the resources together. Each family usually takes a month or a meeting to coordinate. By the end of the year, we know who will be the den leader going forward.

Our Tiger planning meeting is next week. We wait until just before the start of school. I have the new Tiger parents meet me at a local park where I give them an information booklet and walk them through the Tiger program. That way the kids can play on the playground while we meet nearby. As I hand out the information I tell tham that one will need to step forward and lead but that I will work closely with them and they will have another parent as assistant. I let them chew on that while I explain the shared leadership principle and the that everybody is responsible for a meeting. I then end with asking for a leader volunteer.

It has worked so far......

CMM>