Where do I start?

Hello!

I have a son who will not be old enough for Tiger Cubs for another year. I was a cub scout when I was a kid and I am interested in being a Tiger Cub leader. But I think it might be better to get experience as a leader during this next year. Is this a good idea or should I wait until my son is old enough and just start when he does? Any input would be valued!

If you're willing to start now, I say go for it! As long as you understand the age at which your son can join, go ahead and get involved. You can "pave the way" and give him a year to look up to dear old dad in his uniform.

Best of luck to you.

Unc.

JCArter,

This is great! If I were you, I would take some of the training classes that your District has to offer. Talk to some of the current Tiger leaders to learn from them. Attend Pow Wow, Roundtable, and Unversity of Scouting in your area. I predict that there is a Cubmaster position in your future!

Best of lucks! You'll enjoy the adventure that you're about to take with your son!

YIS,

1Hour

OOhH OOHH! Pick my pack! Pick my pack! We would love to have you.

Seriously, go ahead and join now, the experience you gain early will help you with your son in scouting. Plus early training is always the best.

Kristi

Hello, and welcome. My take on this situation is a bit different. If you start as a Tiger Den leader this year, you'll get attached to the boys in your den and they to you. When your son starts next year, do you plan to be his Den leader? If so, your Pack will need to find another leader for the boys you had this year. Or, you'll need to pull double duty and lead two dens of different age boys. If you really want to get some experience, I'd advise joining the Pack Committee this year and volunteer to help in a Den. Then, next year you'll be ready to jump in as your son's Den Leader and you'll already be a registered member of the Pack.

Just my thoughts,

ASM59

I agree with ASM59, get your training behind you then perhaps either committee member or assistant Tiger den leader. The later may not be official but if it were my Tiger den I would not turn you down as there are lots of things you could be doing while I focused on the boys i.e. paperwork, etc.

Carol

I would echo the good advice of others to get some training and start participating in a somewhat limited way (at least for the next year). After the training, I would take several months visiting packs in your area to determine the pack that best meets your needs and appears to have its act together in delivering the cub scout program. Armed with the knowledge that training will provide, you will be in a much better position to be able to assess the relative merits of the packs in your area.

Best of luck to you. It is a very exciting time for you and your son, and I admire your desire to 'scout' out the program in advance.

Like everyone else, WELCOME!!!

No one here seems to have mentioned actual training classes.

The two easiest pieces of training to accomplish are Youth Protection and Cub Scouting Fast Start. They are online.

Both of these should be findable at your local Council website.

Enjoy the journey!!!

John