wife of a new cubmaster

My husband has taken on the role of cubmaster, and is loving it I might add. I am not sure of the best way to assist him. I helped set up a data base..but where should I go from here? He has gone to a lot of training seminars..but is there anyone in particular that I should attend?

Hi! Welcome to the forums, and welcome to Scouting.

I volunteer as a trainer and understand where you are coming from. My wife doesn't do scouting, she helps me do scouting. She doesn't like to camp, but helps me get my stuff together to go. She never complains about me going and doing, she likes to think about my motto. See we have things in common.

Now what can you do? Not a flip answer, a serious question. What would you like to do?

Maybe the place to start is with New Leader Essentials. This will give you an over view of all that Scouting is. It should only take two hours to present (before I get jumped on, I know the course says about 90 minutes, but what about the parking lot meeting after the class?)

Don't be concerned if all that really does is wet your appitite for more (if that's what happens, the staff did their job). The more you might like is Cub Leader Specific Training. I would suggest that you take the Committee track of the course. (I'm suggesting that because the task you did for him was more a committee type of function, I'm guessing more like a commitee secretary role.)

Hope this helps. Oh before I forget, see if this wraps up you and your husband's feelings about Cubs.

100 years from now it won't matter what type of car I drove, what color my house was, or what car I drove. However the world may be a very different place because I was important in the life of a boy.

You can twist this and make it about you, or you supporting your husband. You guys are starting a great journey that will bring many rewards down the road. I wish you both the best with your journey. I hope it turns out as rewarding as mine was.

As Thumper said, it depends on how involved you want to be. Then, on what the Pack needs to be done.

New Essentials and Committee Member specific are good trainings to take. If you are interested in helping your Pack get out camping then BALOO would be a great training to take. Keep an eye out at your council for information on their Pow Wow or University of Scouting or whatever they call it by you. This is a day long training where you sign up for various different courses. Pick the ones that interest you. You and your CM hubby can sign up for different classes and then compare notes at the end! It's usually LOTS of FUN!!

PS - That database thing. My hubby (Asst CM & Popcorn Kernal) is rather computer illiterate. He tries hard, but whenever he insists he wants to do it himself the kids roll their eyes, stand there, hopping from foot to foot, just itching to jump in and do it so it gets done before we all die of old age! LOL! Without the databases I have put together, mailing, popcorn, etc, he would be up a creek with a stone tablet! So don't downplay your work on databases. It's great!!

BTW - WELCOME!

Hi and welcome to the forum. As a Scoutmaster and former Cubmaster, I believe the best thing you can do is try to understand the aims & methods of the program, and support him as he tries to implement them. There will be rocky roads ahead. There always are when you are in a leadership position. You can be a big help by propping him up when he needs the extra support.

Depending on the size of your unit, your husband may have lots of support already. If that is the case, moral support and lots and lots of encouragement are essential.

If you are in the same size boat as we are (collapsible dingy ;)) we don't have all the commitees and volunteers to do each job. They come down to my husband (and eventually roll on down to me sometimes). He delegates what he can but picks up all the rest.

There are times that I have to remind him about his family. Not that he forgets (although when you have 4 children it's tempting sometimes), but Scouting can be all consuming if you don't learn how to balance it with everything else.

It is also helpful to be somewhat knowledgeable about Scouting to be able to answer questions that others just can't wait for your husband to get home and answer. I've cracked open the leader how to book so many times I've gotten a hernia lifting it. :)

And remember to tell him how proud you are of him for this noble role he has undertaken.

Best of Luck,

Carol

wife of a Cub master