Tiger Cub "Leader" or "Parent"

I'm not new to Scouting, but my new military boss is, and is new to our area. Being a born and bred in New York City, he did not have exposure to much as a youth except drugs, crime and the Yankees. Knowing he had a 5 year old, I have been "working him" for the past year, waiting for the New Member night in Sept when Son of Boss could become a brand new Tiger. So far so good. He goes to Open House at school where the local Cubmaster has a table set up to capture all those brand new young-uns and their parents. Next day, Boss comes in and is livid..."Why do they need my SSN and references...all I want is for my kid to be a Cub Scout." I guess it is now de rigeur that "Tiger Cub Partners" are registered as "Leaders". After all, the form says "Adult Leader Application". He is genuinely concerned that "here is yet another uncontrolled group of people I don't know collecting my personal information." I did my best sales pitch, but deep in my heart, I know how records are handled at the unit and Council level, and I can not in good conscience tell him that I believe his information will be protected to the level that will make him comfortable. I should note that all of this comes after he had to call the Federal Credit Union and had to give all his personal account information to someone in India.

I finally suggested that, if he felt so strongly about it, they should just sit out the Tiger year and start as a Wolf, when they won't care what his background or SSN is. Is that the only solution? How many prospective scout families are we losing because of this?

When your Boss cools down. You might want to ask him how he would feel about leaving his little fellow with someone who hadn't been checked out? One of the other parents might have a history that might not be that great.

I feel that if he is willing to share his personal information with Mr Patel in India to get that new car loan, isn't his kid worth at least the same?

So far this is the first that I have heard about someone getting upset. People have asked why? But when I explained the reason behind the form they were only too glad to grab the pen. So as far as I know we have not lost any families. We may have scared off a few perverts.

Eamonn

It's fairly easy to explain why the SS # is required on the adult leader application and prospective leaders generally don't object. But the boy application also asks for the SS# of the parent, plus that of the boy. What's the rationale behind that? Some parents leave those boxes blank and I don't push the issue because I can't think of any logical reason why BSA needs that info. Does BSA do background check on boys and parents too?

If he's signing up his own son, he doesn't need to fill out an adult application at all. He only needs to fill out the bottom part of the Cub Scout application. I don't know if SSN is on there for the parent or if the BSA does criminal background checks on the parents -- I doubt it.

The youth SSN is not required. There's a blank for it, but it's not required.

Even if he does fill out an adult application, which I think is a good idea, the SSN is required. However, if you look at the unit copy, there is no SSN on it and the carbonless paper won't copy it. Therefore, the only ones who get the SSN are the people who work in the council office and the company that does the criminal background checks.

I know about identity theft and understand the concern, but the BSA does not share the information and I raise my eyebrows when someone refuses to give it.

Unc.

scoutldr,

I think someones wires got crossed. The Tiger Cub Adult Partner only has to fill out the bottom of the boy application, even on this form the ssn is optional. The only time an Adult Partner has to fill out a leaders application is when the adult is not the legal guardian of the boy in question.

I think you should get him to fill out the boys appication and this way the boy and his father are not missing out on one of the most exciting years in scouting history. The 75th Anniversary.

YIS

CMF

Like the other posters, we have no requirement to sign up Tiger Partners as as adult members. Most provided the SS # without question. I did have none question and the hesitation was quickly eliminated after I explained the purpose and process. This was a non issue for us.

A question did come up at our last DCM about internet chartering and Tiger Partners. I am curious how other Councils are handling this.

For Tiger Partner we only have them fill out the adult info on the boy application. For SS #'s, both boy and partner, if they question it we tell them it is optional.

When they get to Wolf, and agree to be a Leader, we have the adult fill out the adult leader application at that time. We require their SS # on the leader app. The adults know that it is required for a background check by our council and none have complained yet.

I wish the Government would issue something besides the SSN for identification purposes. Driver's licenses should be used for driving only, not check cashing, identification, etc. SSN's should be use by the Social Security System only. If everyone is clamoring for some type of identification, the Government should issue a national identification card.

That said, one of the Packs that I serve as UC for is chartered by a Catholic church. They require ALL adults who come into contact with the boys (i.e. all leaders, all parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) to submit a background check application. This is a diocese rule. I guess they have had their fill of lawsuits. I've also had some of the parents in our troop balk at giving health history information, driver's license and insurance information (need so I can file a tour permit), etc. Yes it does amaze me that they entrust me to take care of their son for a week at a time but hesitate to share his medical history with me.

This is interesting because last year we were told by the DE that we must submit a completed adult app for every Tiger parent in addition to the Tiger app. We were told that no money was collected, that the parent would not be considered a leader, but that the only way the adult partner would go on the roster was with that app. Is there a reference that I could run by him as adults do question the need for duplicate info--a fair question IMO.

And if the leader is not comfortable with the unit having the info, can't the SS # be submitted by the leader (assuming a leadership position is being applied for) directly to council verbally rather than putting it on the app?

That makes no sense.

Are you taking apps on both parents? What happens if a grandparent needs to accompany a Tiger to a meeting? How about the rest of the Pack. We have a large percentage of parents in older dens who regularly attend meetings. Why don't they require apps on them? How about campouts when we require a parent to attend with every Scout?