Two Deep Leadership

As a merit badge counselor I get calls from boys asking to have a meeting to work on or get signed-off on a badge. I always ask them to find a buddy Scout to bring along that is doing the same badge. So they have to go convince another Scout to work on a badge they probably would not have started on... and the result is twice as much advancement!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

acco40,

Unless otherwise stated in G2SS all the rules apply to both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts the same. For an example of this look at the rules covering camping. In that section it states certain restriction apply only to Cub Scouts and not Boy Scouts. Now having said that from the Topic that I started on how many leaders were required at a meeting, the general agreement was that 1 leader was must likely in complacence with YP, but a leader and another adult was the best way to go.

Two deep leadership is required at all Troop activities. The example of a Patrol Leaders Council is that only the Scoutmaster is both correct and incorrect. While only the Scoutmaster should be part of the meeting and the other adult should be nearby and in be sight of the room and with in hearing to comply with two deep rule. Just as the Scoutmaster conference is the private in the sense of separation from the rest of the Troop, it needs to be in sight. In other words not be in closed room but off to one side in meeting hall or over at a picnic table away from the rest of the Scout not in a tent.

In Section I, Youth Protection and Adult Leadership, the G2SS says in bold print "Two-deep leadership. Two registered adult leaders or one registered leader and a parent of a participant, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required on all trips and outings."

A PLC meeting is not a trip or outing. A troop meeting is not a trip or outing. I haven't seen anything in any Scout publications that say two-deep leadership is required for all activities.

I think that the two-deep leadership requirement imposed by BSA is one of the best things Ive seen to date. The policy is simple and easily communicated to the leaders and the parents. Two-deep is just that, two-deep, no gray area here! It is of course very unworkable at times, or at the very least, very cumbersome at times. Picture a den meeting and one of the boys needs to use the bathroom. You either need four adults, (two for the bathroom & two for the meeting) or else everyone goes to the bathroom together. This becomes very disruptive to your meeting.

I wish the CS camping requirements were as clearly defined.

The issue of two deep leadership at den meetings has privioulsy been brought up in this fourm. What happened here is exactly what has happened in the past, someone posts that two deep is not required at den meetings.

Where I come from, two deep is just that two deep all the time. Just stop and think of it for a second, the YP policies are designed to protect both the kids, and the leaders. Why on earth would the policy be written to exclulde the location where Cub Scouts spend the vast majoirty of their time? It doesn't make sense.