Joining the Scouts..

The first step is Tiger Cubs and he needs to be entering 1st Grade or be 7 years old. Tigers require that the boy have a Parent Partner signed up with him. Since youve already found the forum, I suspect that youll make a fine Den Leader for you sons Tiger Cub Den.

My suggestion would be that you sign up with your Pack one year before you son is eligible. Do your training, go to Roundtable, and maybe attend a Tiger Cub meeting and a Pack meeting. This way youll be up to speed when its your Sons turn to have fun.

Rubbing my forehead in a prediction mode --

Someone will come to your son's Kindergarten class in May or early June and give him a flyer that will invite you to sign him up for a life-enhancing experience.

In the interim, I really like the advice to join the pack a year before your son (if he'll let you) and get trained, etc.

Just please don't be like the guy who dragged his 5 year old into my office 2 weeks ago insisting I had to sign him up as a "mascot" -- there is no such thing officially -- because he was some kind of prodigy.

I beleive in flexibility, but there are some rules I can't and won't bend.

Best of luck to you and your son.

DS

Call your local council office -- listed under Boy Scouts of America -- during the business week. When someone answers the phone, tell them that you're interested in finding/joining a Scouting unit near you. Tell them what town you're calling from and that will tell them which district you live in. They'll direct you to your District Executive who will know which packs are strong, which are not, which are near your son's future school, which churches, etc.

If there isn't one near you, ask how to start one. Perhaps you can grow your future Scout's pack from the get-go (a DE's dream.)

If there is one near you, get involved, but you may get a few funny looks from folks who aren't as future-thinking as you who wonder why a Mom with a 3-year old wants to get a leg up. But I wouldn't worry about that -- as Scout leaders, we all get funny looks :) Be prepared to fill up at the gas station wearing shorts and two-colored sox :)

DS

Check your local phone book for Boy Scouts of America. Then call or visit your local Scout office. They will be able to give you lots of info and tell you where you can find Cub Scout Packs in your area.

Or you can use the local council finder on the national website and just enter your zip code:

http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?c=lc

You might also keep an eye out for young men in uniform selling Trail's End popcorn! Great popcorn and you can ask the boy questions on scouts!

Tigers are awesome!!

Nut :)

Permanent Tiger Leader

Popcorn Kernal