Who chooses the Committee Chairman?

I am a committee member of a fairly new Boy Scout Troop. We are trying to get some clarification on who exactly is supposed to choose the Committee Chairman. I know that all committee members must be approved by the Chartering Organization, but who is responsible for deciding whose name to submit to the CO for approval?

The CC is appointed by the Chartering Organization Rep. The Rep is chosen by the Chartering Organization. The rep should be looking at people within the organization who has an interest in the program and has good organizational and people skills. The CC chosen should then make sure all of his people are trained. Doing the Committee Challenge as a committee will help meld the group together.

Doug

While the formality is for the CO rep to recommend the CC, I think it most situations it is a matter of consensus among the active adults. I have never seen an election held, although I don't think there is anything in the rules that would prevent one. CCs have to be selected or recruited, just as SMs have to be selected or recruited. In a lot of situations the CO rep is barely sentient and doesn't participate in the process.

Not wishing to come across as too sarcastic, it behooves you to find out who the chartered org rep is and talk to that person. They may be very proactive, or totally unaware of their duties. You may have to guide them. Ultimately they do have to sign off on the CC, even if they do not participate in the selection process directly.

Oh yes...welcome to the forum.

Another piece of the pie is the institutional head visit. The district executive is charged with meeting with the head of the chartered organization annually. There is a set agenda on the back of the charter partner agreement. One of the purposes of that meeting is to evaluate the leadership of the unit and remind the charter partner of the obligations of the partnership.

In a perfect world, the DE would make a face-to-face visit with each IH. Reality makes this difficult. He or she would have to do minimally one visit a week or more.

However, if there is a concern or a unit feels it's institution needs a reminder, I would suggest that you ask your DE to visit the IH.

DS

I appreciate all your answers. Our Chartering Organization is one in name only. They take absolutely no active role in our troop. I guess what I'm looking for is if there is any "official" guidelines written down by the National Boy Scout Organization. I have been unable to find anything in writing anywhere.

The official guidelines are as ASM7 said. The chartered organization appoints the troop committee. If the chartered organization is less than active, the committee can work it out amongst themselves. The official BSA guideline is the "Troop Committee Guidebook" #34505B. It is available for about $3 at your scout shop. Or you can order it from the national distribution center (800)323-0732. It's got a lot of good information in it. Every committee should have one.