Dear members of the Scouting Movement.

Scouting in the UK has under gone some changes over the year. One of which, is a new section in the Scouting movement called "Explorer". This section comes after Scouts and before Ventures. The age group is 14-18 yrs. Now the problem I have,(well it's not really a problem), is that I have been asked to run this section. I love teaching kids, & I have just retired from working in the USA Summer Camp Program (7 yrs). My position there was assistant head of the adventure training program. My main job was teaching and health & safety.

We the troop are struggling for leaders, and I feel that I will be letting down my Scout Master if I don't accept the post, (as I have a great respect for him). But the thought of running a New Section in Scouting really scares me. Now, I am a shy person who likes to be behind the camera, not in front. I'm more of an organiser or/and a contact guy Plus a designer of events. I am not a loud person!

Is there anybody out there who has been in my position, and could pass on any advise? I'm all ears.

I thank the members of the Scouting Movement for any help they could provide.

I take it from what you say that you are an adult leader, as opposed to a member of the age 14-18 group. The first question that comes to my mind is, in the UK do you follow the concept that units should be "boy run"? (Or maybe boy and girl run at the age level you are talking about.) In the US, a Venture Crew (ages 14-21) is run to a very large extent by the youth members. Boy Scout troops (ages 11-17) are also boy-run, though there is likely to be more adult involvement. But in either case, the proper role of an adult leader would not involve being "loud." You would be guiding the boys when necessary and "leading by example" rather than with a lot of talk. In Boy Scout troops, the Scoutmaster may never speak to the troop during a meeting except for the "Scoutmaster's Minute" (words of wisdom) at the end. But I don't know if that's how things are where you are.

My general impression, though, is that you already have a long record of serving and teaching youth, and it sounds like you would make a fine leader.(This message has been edited by NJCubScouter)

It's not clear from your post if the program to which you refer is the same as the "Exploring" program of the BSA. That program is for career exploration for male and female youths aged 14-21. The units are called "Posts" and usually specialize in a career field such as medicine, computers, fire and rescue, etc. If a Boy Scout joins an Explorer Post, he can continue to advance in ranks up to and including Eagle Scout. The girls may not participate in the advancement or merit badge programs.

• 4 weeks later...

"I'm more of an organiser or/and a contact guy Plus a designer of events."

probably the reason your SM asked you to take this position.

if the new group is for older boys (14+) then THEY will lead, but they need an adult familiar with the guidelines and goals of scouting to provide the structure -

It sounds like you know the ins and outs of the scouting system - rules, where to get permits, who to contact for camps, resources, etc. If you are them willing to let the boys lead - under your guidance and knowledge of the program - it should be off to a good start.

sounds like your SM has more confidence in your abilities than you do - trust him!

Welcome to you, a scout from the home of the founder of all scouting.

I have been an advisor for a venturing crew for over a year now and each meeting I have less and less to say. The scouts find out that they like running the program. The president runs the meeting and delegates any work to other crew members. The better the crew runs the less the adults do. Young adults are ready to take over just show then the trail.

Welcome to you, a scout from the home of the founder of all scouting.

I have been an advisor for a venturing crew for over a year now and each meeting I have less and less to say. The scouts find out that they like running the program. The president runs the meeting and delegates any work to other crew members. The better the crew runs the less the adults do. Young adults are ready to take over just show then the trail.