It's been a long time...

Okay it's been a long time since I was a scout. Our cub scout troop has a mom and me camp out, what are some things I'll need to bring with me--and how. I already have the tent and bags. I need to bring food for 4 meals. Help!!!

Most importantly a good attitude and a smile!

Pillow

Air mattress or pad (battery operated pump for the air mattress)

Waterproof ground cloth or tarp

Poncho or raincoat

Warm jacket (you never know)

Clothing (an extra set for the kid and extra shoes)

Lawn chair

Toilet Paper (be prepared)

Soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.

Towel

Water bottle

Flashlight, extra batteries

Camera

Folding table if you have one (some places don't have picnic tables)

Ziploc bags

Sunscreen & bug spray

Do you have cooking gear? That will determine what you take to eat. Also, how old is your cub? Bring things he can help cook -- like precooked sausage for breakfast. Try to team up with another mom & son or the whole den to do cooking. No sense in everyone carrying ALL the cooking gear.

Graham crackers, chocolate & marshmallows for s'mores

Milk

Drinks -- cokes and/or juice or kool-aid (watch that the plastic straw covers don't end up on the ground)

Muffins

Banana bread

Pre cooked Bacon

Bread

Sandwich fixings for lunch

Hotdogs & buns

Cookies

Paper plates, napkins

Plastic forks, knifes & spoons

Don't forget any medications or vitamins you or your son take daily.

If you are sleeping in your own tent (some camps have canvas tents on platforms) be sure to put the groundcloth under your tent. Make sure that non of the groundcloth is showing outside of the tent. If it is, then water will run on the groundcloth and puddle under your tent. This is NOT what you want.

How to carry? Just use what ever duffle bags and overnight bags you have. Also, big plastic buckets are good -- the type that clothes detergent and cat litter come in. You can store stuff in them and use them as a place to sit.

Thanks sctmom, that helps a lot. My cub is 6 and it's his first year as a tiger scout. I'm ready for the camping trip, I love doing that stuff. The only thing that bothers me is going to be BB gun shooting there, but I guess we just won't participate in that.

I'll play Bob White here and quote the Guide to Safe Scouting . . .

Cub Scout Standards

Gun-shooting sports are not an approved

part of the Cub Scout program except at a council-approved Cub Scout day camp, Cub Scout resident camp, or Cub Scout family camp. At camp, Cub Scouts may have an opportunity to take part in a BB-gun (rifle) safety and marksmanship program under the direction of a trained and certified BB-gun range officer.

Cub Scouts are not permitted to use any other type of handgun or firearm.

If this isn't an approved activity, they shouldn't be shooting BB guns.

Now, I'm all for firearms instruction, that's the best way to keep a kid safe around firearms. The problem is that it is very likely that none of the fathers will be a trained firearms instructor.

(This message has been edited by yaworski)

Just steer clear of the BB gun shooting. I don't know about the training of the people in our district and council, but I do know they ARE very careful. Each boy must have an adult with him when he shoots. Everyone must wear eye goggles.

It's actually not very much fun each time we have tried it because the BB guns were so cheap they kept jamming and breaking. Also, there was no way to get a good, accurate shot.

Cwood, Since your son is a Tiger, if he has a special blanket, pillow or stuffed animal, take it along. I promise he will not be the only Tiger there with a snuggly. At that age, they aren't ashamed of it.

Also, take some wet wipes. They come in handy.

Tigers are soooooo cute. Take a lot of pictures.

Start him a scrapbook of Scouting. Include the handout from this campout, maybe some notes about what he liked the best, etc.

Oh, more food...

Pop-tarts

Pastries

Fruit

Nuts

Thought of something else. The best lantern I have is a Coleman Kid's lantern. It uses 4 D size batteries and a flashlight bulb. Is small and durable. It has a dimmer switch on it. If your son is uneasy about sleeping in the dark of the tent, then you can dim the light. Once he is asleep, you can turn it off.

Some of the large battery operated lanterns by Coleman have a night light. Next time I go to invest in a large lantern, I will get one of those.

You can buy the Coleman Kid's lanterns at Wal Mart and Sports Authority. Probably other places too. Not very expensive. Also, easy for the kids to carry.

"Just steer clear of the BB gun shooting. I don't know about the training of the people in our district and council, but I do know they ARE very careful. Each boy must have an adult with him when he shoots. Everyone must wear eye goggles. "

This isn't a "just steer clear of it item," this is a prohibited activity at a unit campout.

Next you'll be suggestion other dangerous activities like wearing unauthorized neckerchiefs. :-)

I didn't want to start anything, it's just that this weekend we had our first "activity". We helped serve and organize a company picnic, our cub scouts got 500.00 for it. One man there was telling a friend and I about this place that was selling BB Guns at a huge discount and that the boys would need it in the future. Guns are fine if taught by pros. I just don't want my son around it, so we'll just not participate, there's canoeing, and other games to do that afternoon. I"m looking forward to a great time. Thanks for the list sctmom, it'll come in handy.

Here is what I found in the latest G2SS:

"Cub Scout Standards

Gun-shooting sports are not an approved part of the Cub Scout program except at a council-approved Cub Scout day camp, Cub Scout resident camp, or Cub Scout family camp. At camp, Cub Scouts may have an opportunity to take part in a BB-gun (rifle) safety and marksmanship program under the direction of a certified BB-gun range officer.

Cub Scouts are not permitted to use any other type of handgun or firearm."

The question becomes "what is a certified BB-gun range officer"? Who certifies you? The council?

Cwood,

NO Cub Scout ever NEEDS a BB gun. The only BB gun shooting done in Cub Scouting is at Council/Ditrict events and you cannot take your own BB gun. The council or district will provide the trained personnel and the guns.

Have fun on your campout and let us know how it goes. Our council has one every year near Halloween that is so popular they know have it over 2 weekends and a separate Saturday for Tigers Only.

cwood

Is this a pack campout or is it a council sanctioned event? If the council is hosting this campout, then they should be providing the range and instructors. If it's just a pack campout, then you have to follow Guide to Safe Scouting rules. Maybe instead of not participating, you should inform the others involved. Your pack may run the risk of not being covered by insurance should something happen. Always be prepared. It may be a good time to get those leaders to seek leader training if they aren't already trained.

Doug

I have to ask the same question as ASM7 is this a unit activity or district/council event. I've been the BB instructor at day camp, resident camp and our parent and pal weekends for 5 years. As instructor I needed 5 hours of training from a certified range instructor who is our Boy Scout summer camp rifle director. I also agree that if it is to be a unit event that somebody needs to be notified that this activity is not allowed.

If the BBs are done correctly -- at an approved camp with certified instructors, etc. -- it will be the highlight of the weekend. Your boy will love it. The program is extra safe and a very good learning experience.

Not to toss another wet blanket on your plans, but you mentioned canoeing as an alternative. Cub Scouts are not permitted to use canoes, either. Rowboats are okay, but not canoes. Similar procedures apply as to facilities and trained supervision.

Back to your original question. If you don't have a sleeping bag yet, you can get a acrylic fleece bag for about $15 at Wal-mart. Cubs don't do much cold weather camping so they are fine. If you think it may be cool, take an extra blanket.

Menu ideas -- let the boys make their own hobo dinners (carrots, potatoes, onions, hamburger, ketchup and seasoning wrapped in foil and cooked in the coals.) It part of the Wolf requirements. For breakfast, a big pot of oatmeal, grits or (depending where you live, cream of wheat) makes an easy hot breakfast. Cinnamom rolls are okay, but wrap them in foil and warm them up near the fire and they're not quite so yucky.

If you're not accustomed to cooking over a camp fire, take charcoal. It's easier to start and control -- but no liquid lighter fluid! It's not permitted by the BSA.

Other that the normal pots and pans you think you'll need, be sure to take a camp grill to set over the fire and put the pots and pans on. Balancing a pot of boiling water on a rock is a good way to have neither hot water or a fire. Pot tongs or long pliers are important and leather work gloves or welders gloves are nice to have.

Speaking of hobo dinners. Does anyone know the difference between a hobo and a bum? A hobo is a guy who rides in a boxcar and plays the harmonica. A bum is someone making $4.3 million averaging 1.7 yards per carry. (A little football humor, sorry.)

Some of my son's favorite camp fire foods--Banana Boats--slice into banana 3/4 way through--put peanut butter, chocolate chips and mini marshmallows (optional), wrap in aluminum foil, place in coals for approximately 3-5 minutes. Mountain Pies---using camp fire sandwich maker, butter bread liberally, add cherry pie filling--cook until steam starts to escape--check until nicely browned. He suggests not using the latch hold it together tightly instead. I liked the baked apples alot--core apple, add brown sugar, cinnamon and dab of butter, wrap in foil, cook in coals approximately 15 minutes.