Eagle Awards Through Apeeals

JM

Told my boys about The National Outdoor badges last meeting....showed them the requirements....

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/Youth/Awards/NOA.aspx

I told them that it was a more significant accomplishment in my book than Eagle.....

I don't think they understood what I was saying........It is kind of irrelevant, I have 4 boys who are a merit badge away from the camping segment and the hiking merit badge away from the hiking segment.

I would like for them to earn all the segments in the coming years......but that is what I would like.....not their choice.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't particularly care what age a scout is when he makes Eagle. I'm more interested in how old he is when he attends his last meeting as a youth member, and I hope that's 17.9 years old or thereabouts. Aging out an active scout who has participated in a challenging, meaningful program, that's my hope for them.

Wiz on the fire, call in the dogs and head on back to Bowlegs. We have the correct answer.

At our District Committee meeting, several Scouter who commonly sit on Eagle Boards of Review as Counsel representatives had nothing but praise amounting to wonder at the quality of Eagle Scouts they were approving. No reservations at all were expressed.

I don't know if that's because so many Eagle candidates deserve the award or whether the Board of Review process doesn't pick up weaknesses and acts as a rubber stamp as a matter of routine.

Any opinions? These were all experienced Scouters with high personal standards themselves in my experience.

Those Eagles that stay in until 18 become ASMs in my troop. I have one now who is a Political Science major, he's our counselor for the Citizenship merit badges. He works with our boys during holidays and the summer when he comes home. The boys get far more out of working with him then earning these at summer camp. Even though I only see him a few weeks out of the year he is an extremely valuable part of my team.