Do you really need a book to advance?

My copy of my 1965 Handbook (67 printing) is still in good shape, and it came on more than a few campouts and camps.

My son replaced his copy because it was worn out and falling apart twice.

On content ... the older editions (the 1959/65 ones) had all the basics you needed. I've not been impressed with the last several editions on content.

Quality at the printer/binder's shop is not Job 1 ... :(

I do not think this the hill to die on.

The book is like a compass--you sure are gonna need to look at it. Sure you can borrow one but I know new scouts who memorize the dang thing. We do require a book and full uniform for SMC and BOR.

Our boys jump at the chance to get their book sign offs. It is a system that works. Start doing online all the time and I bet most of the emails will be from parents not boys.

Of course you need to be reasonable. A boy forgets it, OK. Loses it and needs to reconstruct his record--we will resign a new one. Can't afford one or parents too lazy to drive to the store we have provided one.

While the book was notated and circled and so on, we had actual rank advancement cards that folded up. We kept them with the book or in a pocket (or lost them sometimes), but that was what was used for the actual advancement info. Today, they still have a small booklet with just the sign off items. Think they could make it black and white and cut the cost in half, but it is useful for some, as it is small enough to keep in a pocket. Of course, the books were that small at one time too, so we carried them there a lot.

They also still have the record sheets, similar to ones the scribe kept at one time. Those can be kept and updated as they do something for a secondary record. Actually, that might be a good thing to do in order to add some real responsibility to a scribe's job.

Yah, bnelon44 and CalicoPenn raise good questions about ebooks, eh?

I confess I haven't jumped on that bandwagon yet, and I haven't seen too many scouts yet with ebook readers. Where I have seen 'em, it's more of a high school and college thing; mostly iPads.

Are folks findin' that more kids are usin' the ebook Handbook? And does da thing work on the smartphones that it seems more kids have and use on a daily basis?

B

At least the pages won't fall out of a Kindle!

Several have mentioned that the book is a good resource and will bring back memories in the years to come. Too bad today's book will not be around for that, they'll be in the trash after they fell apart.

I've seen lots and lots of adults with ebook readers. Heck, many sit in camp chairs with ebook readers. I view it no differently than if they were to sit down with a paperback. Only difference is cost.

I don't really have an issue with scouts using them. We'd need to find a different sign-off evidence path.

Plus, the big thing is that kids are rough on things. We don't ban cell phones. We just give parents our cell phone numbers and ask that they don't call us if their son chooses to bring a phone and it gets lost, drowned, stepped on, rained on or just broken when a bag is thrown or dropped. Most parents have the phones left at home.

Kids are rough on things. I'd expect an e-book reader to not last a year in a scout's hand on camp outs.

I'm not sure how many people know the BSA handbook is available on Kindle. I'm not sure what other platforms it's available on. CNET says it's available for the i-Phone.

It wouldn't surprise me if folks start seeing Scouts bringing older kindles and e-books to outings - as folks start to replace perfectly good otherwise e-books with either the latest and greatest e-books or with i-Pads or Android tablets, which include e-book functionality as well.

Every time I walk into a Barnes & Noble, the first thing I see is the big display for their Nook. Everytime someone asks me if I'd be interested in a Nook, I tell them if I wanted electronics, I'd go to a Best Buy. There is more to reading than just the words - at least for me. I get a sense of satisifaction as I watch my book mark travel through a books pages, as I get to the last page and shut the book cover, and as I watch the stack of unread books get shorter as I read through them.

My opinion is YES.

While not all of the information needed to advance is in the current handbook, when I taught T-2-1 Skills at IOLS I had to create a pamphlet with the missing skills in it, IT IS NECESSARY FOR RECORD KEEPING (emphasis).

The SCOUT (emp) is responsible for his own advancement and records, not the unit, although they do keep track, and not the council as all they do is record what they are given.

I have seen to many council records being screwed up, and I have seen those screw up affect two Eagles. An it was the BSHBs of those two Eagles that that fixed the problem.

As for scouts transferring into units, if there is no transfer form and they are form another council, or if the council both units are in has messedup records, it's the BSHB that is used to fix the probelm/