What Eagle Project Would You Like to See Done?

One thing that might help is if somebody from council would approach local non-profits with an explanation (in writing, but simple - one or two pages, max) of what an Eagle project might look like. We have many non-profits who know next to nothing about scouting, but who could benefit from an Eagle candidate's attention. Maybe a letter, going out once a year to local non-profit camps, for example, highlighting a few projects done by past Eagles, would grease the wheels? That way, when a Life Scout contacts a group, it would not be the first time that group thinks about what Scouts might do for them.

This is another Eagle Project trend that I am unhappy about. It should be what Eagle project does the scout want to do, what needs does he see in his community, how does he think he can be of service to his community, and then he runs with the ball.

Instead I am seeing this:

SM: Well Tommy, time to do your Eagle Project, say head over to Central School, First Church, or Town Hall and ask to see the Eagle Project list and make a choice. Be sure to get the project details and contacts for your workbook.

Tommy Scout: Okay, I'll have my Mom do that.

SM: Good thinking, getting others involved like that. :(

My $0.01

HIJACK ALERT....

How to encourage a Scout to think about Eagle Projects before he 'needs' to...

* Parents do work at church / synagogue/temple, take Sammy Cub Scout along and he carries the paint tray and helps mom lay out the drop cloth.

* Dad goes to PTA meeting and signs up to help at the Bake Sale. Sammy goes along and makes sure the cupcakes do not fall of the table.

* Cub Pack goes to the City Park and does a cleanup day, just because. Park Ranger comes up and says thank you.

* The forth grade teacher writes to the parents and asks for help in a field trip to the museum. Mom and /or dad go with out complaint.

* Big brother Eddie's Scout Troop PLC and Committee work to help their CO with the Community Pantry for less than lucky families. It is a regular thing, not just a "special".

* Uncle John asks Sammy to come and work at the Community Museum with him. 9 year old Sammy meets other adults that find such things important. He gets to see the "back room".

* Neighbor lady is getting on in years, and Sammy asks mom if he can sweep her walk. Mom says fine, I'll come too and we can mow her lawn.

* Big brother Eddie is going to the Troop's trail erosion project and "drags" Sammy along because mom and dad have a memorial service for an old teacher to go to.

* Dad explains to Sammy what he is doing. He is writing checks for the month's bills and the charities they support get the first checks, because...

SP - Sure, let those be troop service projects.

By the time a scout starts his Eagle project, he should be the one proposing and planning the project. Eagle scout project ideas should not be yet another adult catered affair.

Another $0.01(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

Most towns and parks where we live have capital for projects (grants, unfunded mandates that cover material but not labor). Same applies to churches. They are just waiting for that one person to rally community volunteers. The only question: is your boy that person?

Our life scouts spend months trying to figure out what project they would like to do. Sometimes we can tell that a boy is grasping for low hanging fruit (perhaps to keep mom from nagging?), but his heart's not in the project. When the boy has something in his sights that he really cares about, it's obvious. Mom and dad may pitch in, but the boy won't count on just them. He will ask for help from everyone. He will tell you in his own words why he project is important.

It doesn't have to be the boy's idea. In fact sometimes seeing a wish list from an organization he cares about can be a learning experience in itself. He gets a big picture "the whole pie" if you will, and decides "that slice is mine."

The one thing I tell the boys: 10 or even 20 years from now, it would be nice to have something to brag about to the woman you want to marry or that little kid who thinks the world of you.

>

Sorry, I continue to see nothing wrong with a Scout who might examine the wish list of a community organization and to make one of those wishes something he might choose to do as a project.

And the advantages of doing that might be significant. I've seen Eagle projects that sprang from the mind of a Scout that are neglected from lack of maintenance after they are done and eradicated after a few years because no one else has an interest in them.

A project which reflects a real need by an organization is likely to be maintained and used for years or decades to come.

Good points, but I've seen scouts serve as just labor on pre-existing wish-list projects without any real thought or leadership in the project. Not what I would like to see done in an Eagle project.

Another $0.02

In my area, the park rangers and some other organizations maintain "wish lists" of Eagle projects, so the scout just needs to pick one and do it. To me, that is taking a shortcut, in that the scout did not discern the need and plan it from conception. Since becoming a genealogist hobbyist, I have seen many abandoned cemeteries that are in sad shape, most on private property, that are in need of some TLC.

Like anything, this could be done well, or done poorly. But let me give an example of why I think it could be helpful for non-profits and public entities to have a wish list, and to get some frequent (annual?) communication from the local BSA council about what an Eagle project entails.

A boy recently approached a camp that serves special needs children, asking if he might do his Eagle project for them. This boy knows the camp well, because some of his siblings have attended over the years. He knows the camp needs help on a variety of fronts, but of course he wanted to work WITH the sponsoring org to pick an appropriate project focus rather than simply telling them "I want to do X".

The camp hemmed and hawed. First, they weren't sure it was ok to have youth working on site. Then, they suggested to the boy that he maybe do some maintenance work (not project-worthy). Then the went the other direction and suggested that he re-roof all of the buildings (too much, really). The boy was doing his best to try to help them understand what the nature of Eagle projects might be, but they weren't getting it.

They were near the point of telling him that they couldn't accommodate his desire to help them. Then they had one of their semi-annual planning meetings, at which a Scout Leader who knew the boy happened to be present. They started in on discussing the long list of projects that needed doing and lo and behold, MOST of them were the sorts of things Eagle candidates might be able to do! The Scout Leader pointed this out to them.

The light bulb apparently got lit, because the boy ended up taking on one of those projects. I expect he'll do a great job. He is very happy to have found a way to help this camp.

It was really only serendipity that the Scout Leader happened to be at that meeting, and happened to know the back story. Otherwise, this fine camp wouldn't be gaining 6 new sand box areas for their kids to play in, and the Scout wouldn't have been doing his project for them, despite his desire to do so.

As for the planning aspect, the camp simply said "we need some sand box areas" and the boy is taking it over from there. There is plenty of opportunity for leadership to be demonstrated. It isn't like they handed him the plans, hired a crew foreman, bought the supplies, and told the boy to come out on Saturday to join the work party.

I have a particular project that I'd like to see done for our local Kiwanis Club camp that they maintain in town for youth.

The camp is located behind a public middle school. The only way into it is to go through the grounds of the school, which is not intuitive at all. It can be tough for someone not familiar with the camp to find it.

Indeed, the first time I went to the camp for a district picnic, I didn't find it. I knew where it OUGHT to be, but still couldn't find it.

Ever since then, I've made a point of taking portable signs and yard signs to mark the entrance when I have an activity there, but I don't know how common that is.

I would like to see a nice permanent sign made to mark the location of the camp ---- perhaps two or three. On one side of the road you would need to get permission of the neighboring hospital, and on the other side permission from the school. Of course permission of the Kiwanis club would be needed as well.

It would be a good and useful project for an Eagle project I would think. There are several troops in the area, and I might send this idea to the Scoutmasters or the district Boy Scout Roundtable to circulate the project as a possibility.