For those of us who have no clue what you are talking about and just barely know what Twitter is but have no account there and never plan on having one, what does "trending on Twitter" mean? (All I know about Twitter is that it allows you to send very short messages to other people, or a bunch of other people, and that millions of people use it to announce to their all their friends that they are at the grocery store or about to rob a bank or whatever, or they use it to send out photos of themselves wearing less than the customary amount of clothing to 40,000 other people and then end up having to resign from Congress. That's what I know about Twitter.)

Well, I haven't checked twitter, but I do have a whole set of badges that I've been unable to get approved.

- "Sarcasm" translator strip

- Dumpster Diving merit badge

- Lord of the Flies merit badge

- Purple Heart for injuries suffered while Scouting

- Parental Combat adult knot

- Hand Sanitizer, Liquid Fuel, and Aerosol Fire Experiments merit badge

- Gross Joke Analysis merit badge

Twitter is a communication tool where you post a message with a total of 140 characters. You can "follow" people on Twitter, and their "tweets" will roll up your screen. For example, I follow Scouting Magazine (on Twitter they are @Scouting). Their tweets today:

Scouting magazine ‏@scouting

Headed to camp next week? Read how Scouters can make the most of their time at summer camp: http://bit.ly/M8o3Ft

Expand

Reply Retweet Favorite

12 Jul Scouting magazine ‏@scouting

Can your Scouts start a fire in the rain? Brush up on this excellent survival skill using this instruction guide: http://bit.ly/swzxBZ

Expand

Reply Retweet Favorite

12 Jul Scouting magazine ‏@scouting

Have you entered to win one of 10 hammocks today? Winners will also receive the book, @TheUltimateHang! http://bit.ly/N3vop6

Expand

Reply Retweet Favorite

Now, you can put a hashtag on any tweet (#listentobeavah), and then see if it picks up steam. I use hashtags for technical issues in the software industry - like #cloud.

Someone posted up a joke on rejected badges, the humor at best is juvenile. Lots of people started re-tweeting the jokes and reusing the hashtag.

I did like the one with Scout Leader Husbandry though.

Horizon, I'll have to take your word for all that. Just one question though: "Retweet"? Isn't that what the bugler plays as the flag is being lowered after dinner, if he has a mild speech impediment?

(Mild because, if he had a severe speech impediment, which they probably call something else these days anyway, it would be "We-tweet." You know, if you have to explain a joke, it's probably not very funny. What do you expect, my sense of humor is rooted in my monthly reading of the joke page of Boy's Life when I was a Scout.)

Horizon's description notwithstanding, I think NJ has hit the essence of this phenom. Of course I think a handwritten letter on paper with a stamp on the envelope is a significant communication.

NJCubscouter: The initial post was about the topic of "rejected" merit badges being passed around on Twitter. Since I don't use Twitter, I have no idea if my ice cream merit badge idea has already been talked about.

I'd go for the knot, too! As a matter of fact, I think I'll go work on some ice cream right now!