Most Creative Eagle Projects

As a district approval authority for eagle projects I see mostly construction projects. Some of those are fairly unique based on a need identified by the scout himself.

The most unique project came from a teen age scout whose parents had gone through a messy divorce. He wanted to put together a brochure for the children of divorce drawing on his own experience and the experiences of other young people derived from interviews with these other children of divorce. His idea was to put together some helpful suggestions from the point of view of the child. He worked with the guidance counselor in his high school. As far as I know those brochures got published and are still being distributed.

We are trying to make sure that our troop members realize that not all Eagle projects require hand tools.

Last fall, a Scout organized a food drive through the local youth soccer leagues. He publicized the drive, then directed teams of Scouts to collect food at 5 different field complexes over two weekends. I think it ended up being a bigger project than he (and his parents) had anticipated...

This summer, one of our Scouts is planning a free mini day camp devoted to science. Should be a great project, if he can get the insurance issues settled (see my thread in Open Discussion).

Another Scout is hoping to organize a tennis tournament for junior high students.

One Scout, part of a patrol that attended Sea Base last year, had hoped to organize a lake clean up using SCUBA divers, but liability issues killed the idea.

We've also had our share of bat box, shoreline restoration, playfield upgrade, and science trail projects.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a scout that put out boxes at the schools in our district the last week or two of school. He collected notebooks, markers, crayons, pencil, ... that otherwise might have gone into the garbage dumpster. He then organized a night to sort through all the items. He also had the sewing group at his church sew back packs.

Then one Saturday, he had us basically go down an assembly line and put specific numbers of each item in the bag. They were sent to Haiti for school kits for the children.

I've got a project proposal coming my way for a District approval. In brief, the boy wants to clean up a beach somewhere in Florida. I have yet to see his proposal, but from what I've been told, his Troop will not be involved since the Troop hails from Oklahoma. So, with the new thinking on Eagle Projects being "unit activities", how does one do a project in Florida with his unit sitting back in OK? I would like to make this work, bend as much as I can to keep this project alive. But, under the new procedures, it seems like I may have to abort the mission before it gets off the launching pad. Any thoughts from the crowd?

Not useful for creative ideas but a story I think you'll enjoy.

The COR for our pack did his Eagle project about 60 years ago in Florida. He loves to tell the story that his Eagle project was shooting alligators.

Projects were not required until the mid 60's, so that far back is unlikely. We have a couple of photos in our troop scrapbook from the late 20's or early 30's of mountain lions hanging from ropes on tree branches back when there was a bounty in our area. I believe alligators were also a bounty animal at one time.

So, if project "had" been in effect then, maybe that would have been acceptable.