Combined Woodbadge and Eagle Ceremony

I am looking at having a combined Woodbadge Ceremony and Eagle Court of Awards with my son. I have been waiting for him to complete his Eagle so that I can receive my beads. The day is coming and I need to find a ceremony. My biggest issue is the transition between the two. Our WB ceremonies usually include a final singing of Gillwell, which is a little light hearted. So the question is... how to segway into a more serious event. Does anyone have a ceremony they've used? Thanks.

Might the existence and relevance of this question prompt reconsideration of the appropriateness of combining these ceremonies?

It's primarily your son's call unless your troop already has a precedent for this

- but if it's a quandry - maybe that's a clue rather than a question.(This message has been edited by Callooh! Callay!)

Not combined, but chockablock.

Eagle CoH are of two types: First, stand alone, special affairs (see many other threads).

Second, on the tail end of a regular Troop CoH.

No matter which version you have, the WB part should be seperate, and not detract from the Scout's stand in the embarassing spotlight. YOU take second place.

But the "official " Eagle CoH is started by the Scoutmaster (or other duly qualified High Scout Muckymuck) by proclaiming that " On behalf of the National Council of the BS of A, I duly convene this Court of Honor for the sole purpose of conferring the rank of Eagle." etc. etc.

Work it out with your Scoutson and the Troop.

THEN, when the Eagle brouhaha is over, (applause, hugs, handshakes), some WBer can jump up and say "But wait, there's more... " and the other WBers can saunter up and say "Isn't it time?" "time for what?" " time to go BACK!" "Back where?" and they drag you up and start the song. "Back to Gilwell..." And after the song, the explanation, the beads, the necker, the "secret cord flip", and so on. Applause, applause.

Go into the CoH closing, benediction, flag retrieving, etc.

Then the punch and cookies.

On the Ceremony Program, it can be listed as "Special Award". That was how mine was listed. Surprise for the Troop CoH that night.

I vote for the BBQ potluck picnic before the ceremonial stuff.

Gotta slow down and catch those tyops.

(This message has been edited by SSScout)(This message has been edited by SSScout)

If your son is fine with it, go with it.. Some people think the ECOH is like a wedding ceremony, and has to be all about the boy.. But, if some can hold ECOH's right with normal COH, then it need not be an exclusive all about the boy..

I have never been to a COH/ ECOH, but my guess is they just do one ceramony and then the other.. Possibly the MC can comment that as your son work his towards his Eagle rank, you had taken on your own path and project to earn what some people have called the adults equivelent of an Eagle award.. (I personally think it is more equivilent to maybe the Eagle project, and not the whole path from Tenderfoot through Eagle ranks.. But it is a well known saying.)

I might suggest yours goes first though so his is the climax of the occasion.(This message has been edited by moosetracker)

Bounce it off your son, he will have some idea of how things should work out.

Ask for someone who has done bearings before who has a reputation for moving things along.

If your son gives you a time limit, you need someone trustworthy who'll hold to that.

I think you could do a beading but realize they represent drastically different sizes of endeavors and the ceremonies need to reflect that.

Woodbadge is a one week training course the beading represents you completed it and did a few tasks afterwards. That really is all it represents.

Eagle represents usually at least 7 years of learning scoutcraft skills, frustration, practical leadership, etc., etc.

They are completely different recognitions. You shouldn't short change the Eagle and the beading ceremony can certainly do that. Expecially if the singing goes on for 20 minutes.(This message has been edited by bnelon44)

I think they should be two separate occasions. The Eagle COH is potentially the most important event in your son's life (up to this point), and combining it with another ceremony focused on you will detract from that. Just my opinion.

ECOH's are whatever you make them, some think they are worth pomp and circumstance.. Others think it is a rank.. Some make it like a wedding receptions, others get it handed to them with a clap on the back and a handshake..

If they are deathbed Eagles, probably more important will be their HS graduation. This something where the Thread we had on "You are nobody special" can fit in.. Why do we need to spoil our kids with making them think the earth revolves around them.. Especially if the son is thrilled to share his day with his fathers acheivements.. If he is, I would say let's be happy this boy has learned how important it is to care about those around him, rather then himself.. Good for him.

Now, the father caring about the son, and wanting to celebrate in his accomplishments should agree that the WB tickets although they can be as complex as an Eagle project, it is the lesser of the accomplishments as it does not have the years working through the other ranks (skill, PORs, merit badges) to finally get to that final rank where you do the Eagle project as well as some more PORs & merit badges..

Rock bands have warm up acts.

Simplify and shorten the Wood Badge beading --- they are usually 'way too long and boring anyway. The Wood Badge beaduing can be the warm up act for the ECOH.

Then do the Eagle COH. Frankly, they are usually too long and boring too.

I'll let someone else decide on together or separate.

The only comment I'll have is that many Woodbadge ceremonies take way way too long and way way too boring. IMHO, one to three minutes of ceremony are fine for woodbadge beading. THE REST IS WOODBADGE PROMOTION. The last beading I saw took between 15 to 20 minutes... Really. And given that I've sat thru at least 10+ beadings... And that I've completed woodbadge... And that most every scouter I know gets Woodbadge.... I must confess that if I know one is one the agenda at roundtable or elsewhere, I might find a convenient reason to be out of the room. I love woodbadge, but the beadings are a killing.

The only thing that can approach the agony of a long winded beading ceremony is a sixty minute long winded Eagle COH. (said with a big of sarcasm)

Now if you put the two together....(This message has been edited by fred8033)

>

I agree. Woodbadge is the most over promoted program in Scouting, in my opinion. Our quarterly council Roundtables usually have somebody promoting Woodbadge for at least ten minutes, despite the fact that the large majority of people have taken Woodbadge and most have heard the pitch MANY times.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in WB as both a participant and staff, and believe it to be a quality training course. (Although I would have LOVED the opportunity to take the "old course") I think it can be, when done properly, applicable to not only Scouting but other aspects of life. Through WB i have met many people that have helped me in my Scouting and have become great friends. Fortunately for me my experience was different than BD's, and I look back on it positively.

I drone on to say I fully agree with Basementdweller. It is a commitment, but it's a training class. To include one of our WB beadings in a young man's Eagle ceremony does nothing to enhance the experience. No matter the intention there is no way to not have at least half the room walking away thinking "Why would he do such a thing?".

If your son came up with this idea and is practically begging you to do this, I might think differently. I also in no way believe you aren't thinking of this with the best of intentions. One of the hardest and best things that happened to me when I went from Cubs to Boy Scouts as a leader was learning how to separate his Scouting from my Scouting.

And I just can't see 5-10 middle-aged Scouters singing a tune about furry little critters helps.

And I just can't see 5-10 middle-aged Scouters singing a tune about furry little critters helps.

Do you get this at the beading?? Really!!!.. I have only seen 3 or 4 that are not done at the WB dinner where 3/4 of those taking WB get beaded so there are like 25 to 30 all getting beading at one time.

While I agree that when it is a single person beading, it can get long winded.. Never has anyone sung the song!.. Even at the Dinner, with lots of people being beaded, the song is not part of the ceremony.. At the dinner it will be sung to mark the end of the entire dinner..

I know that when on staff and the staff is the only one singing it (after a staff meeting) some critters get skipped over, or many sing solo.. At a COH, you would get even more "holes" in the song due to missing critters.. How sad that would sound.. (a solo "I use to be a beaver".. Anyone out there a bobwhite?.. No bobwhite, lets skip it.. On to Eagle no Eagle, lets skip it.. Anyone out there a Fox?.. Ah one Fox come on up here...)... Well anyway, the song could be very pitiful done at a single person beading depending on the venue he has selected to be beaded in.

Suggestion: Do your beading at a committee meeting or a party for the leaders at your house. Let everyone come casual, you in uniform, receive the beads, and then change clothes and have a casual party for your adults that is not scouting related.

Don't step on the Eagle COH with your wood badge ceremony. The wood badge staff might show up and turn into overbaked hams and bore everyone to death. There are a large percentage of non-scouter adults who think that an adult getting an award from the scouts is childish and silly. You'll tick people off, even if the scout is OK with it.

Beadings should never ride on top of other meetings - COH's, Pack Meetings, etc, because the wood badge staff will start telling the story of William Boyce and promoting wood badge. Those meetings are supposed to be for the boys, not for the adults. The boys are not invited to wood badge.

Both the Eagle Award and the Wood Badge beads were treasured at one time because of their rarity and the difficulty in obtaining them. Now both are more frequently obtained. Wood Badge is now leader training - it used to be a week long hazing festival where leaders learned outdoor skills. Eagle used to be earned by 1% of scouts, but now 4% earn it thanks to National Jamborees and District Merit Badge Clinics that allow boys to earn 100 merit badges in four years.

I see the value in having every leader trained, but at the same time, there are no scouting achievements left that are rare and respected other than the life-saving medals. Everything is becoming a participation or tenure award.