A signed BC is signed and done unless?

Scoutfish

Most camps have in addition to registered merit badge counselors (they have to be over 18 years old to register), youth instructors. Often the classes are run by the youth instructors with the final sign off given by the registered MBC. It is the MBC's responsibility to make sure quality is kept up in the classes.

So when this is first noticed, the unit leader at camp should go talk to the merit badge counselor at that particular area at camp (he is often called a program director for that area).

The overall camp director is responsible for making sure quality is kept up in all the different areas. So if you are still having problems, then go see the camp director.

By all means, report it to the Council Advancement Committee, they are responsible for making sure quality is kept in the council with regard to the merit badge program. And they have clout with the camps.

It is the council advancement committee's responsibility to make sure counselors sign off only on requirements the scouts have accually completed. Unit Leaders who find quality control issues in council and district run group or individually counseled merit badges should report their findings to the Council Advancement Committee. The badge, if signed off, is earned by the Scout and should be considered complete. However we do not wish to continue a poor quality program.(This message has been edited by bnelon44)

Some years back there was a 14 or 15 year old boy in the troop my son was in, who went to summer camp and convinced several young MBCs to give him signed blue cards for a fistful of Eagle-required badges, without ever having attended (or even signed up for) those MB classes.

The boy thought we wouldn't notice?!? In fact, the whole troop knew because the boy bragged about it to all the other boys as in: "ha ha you chumps, you actually did the work" etc etc.

Much consternation followed. The boy was aware of the "once it is signed, it is done" concept and threw that in the face of the SM (the SM was not inclined to turn the blue cards in to council).

The decision was to tell the boy, fine, you "get" (not "earn") those merit badges, but it is going to be a very cold day before the SM is ready to sign off on your scout spirit requirement for your next rank, and just what sort of leadership position do you think you're likely to get chosen for.

The badges were duly presented at a court of honor just like all the others and the boy seemed pretty embarrassed at that point since, through his own actions, everyone in the room clearly knew the back story. It was an interesting lesson in trust and reputation.

The boy did eventually earn Eagle.

It is good to hear the scout complained about the counselor and did not accept a badge for doing nothing.

As the AC for our troop, we have about 30 boys of 50-ish go to summer camp each year and earn an average of 4 badges each. The adults at camp do spend some time wandering by the various MB classes and activities to ensure the kids are where they are supposed to be and are doing something productive.

But considering the size of the troop and number of badges earned, generally over 100 with a high of 132, there is NO WAY I am going to double check with each kid to see if he thinks he did all the requirements and learned something from it. That is the whole purpose of having the MBC in the first place.

I like Lisabob's troop solution.

I would say, though, that a signed BC is good unless you know fraud is involved. In my opinion, this case would involve fraud, and I would not feel obligated to provide the badge.