Kayaking MB requirements posted today

Yay! These couldn't come at a better time as we are taking 10 scouts up to kayak in the Apostle Islands through the auspices of the Samoset council this August. Earning one of the newest MB's is just icing on the cake for the scouts going.

Now, hopefully the council will be up to speed on the requirements and be able to supply a MB counselor. They seem to have things pretty together up there so I'm not too worried. All the same a phone call or e-mail is in order.

It is too bad that National continues to have issues with their different departments working together to time things right. It was announced that the requirements for this badge would be out in time for scouts to be able to earn at summer camp.

Well, the requirements were just posted this week. Many troops leave this weekend for camp. Although our scout shop was able to get the mb emblem in last week, the mb pamphlet is unavailable and on backorder. If this had been timed right, supply would have been able to get the pamphlet into scouts hands by now.

How can you announce a badge without already having the requirements set, and the pamphlet almost ready to go to print? At launch start date, councils should already have the requirements so they can recruit counselors and shops should have their supply of pamphlets and badges in stock ready to go.

Z

Zscout,

I agree, this would have been a fun badge, especially for those(such as myself and a few others) that have earned canoeing and small boat sailing.

Of course, it's always made me wonder why they just made this a merit badge now.

Yah, hmmm.... pretty light on the actual paddling requirements, eh?

Apparently yeh can get Kayaking MB mostly without doin' any kayaking. The requirements seem to call for a whole 56 yards of actual kayaking (plus a short buoy course with 4 whole turns set up by the counselor).

That should fit right in to the Summer Camp MB farm. :(

Lookin' at how similar the badge is to Canoeing, they should probably just combine 'em into a "Paddlesports" badge with the two options. These days recreational kayaks have become pretty ubiquitous.

Beavah

I would have to agree with with the rather light requirements. 56yards well... might as well complete it in a pool.

Preforming a wet entrance Without assistance really should have been required here. Assuming you remembered your bailing equipment and are not completely swamped this a near necessity if you are far from land.

While possibly not required, being able to do a barrel roll is a nice skill to know and some of the non scouting kayak trips around here require it for the more intermediate/advanced rivers.