Oak Tree, that's a good question--why would they want to squash it? I can't answer that either. I just know from long experience that there are people who are more interested in preserving and protecting SOLELY administrative processes than the welfare of the people those processes are designed to alledged support.

Their legacy is "no, the rule book is more important." The kicker--they'll get a secret delight from it.

Others will have a legacy like the one you mentioned--after the board and before camp, giving Johnny an Eagle patch (even an old used one) and saying "we leave for camp in less than 12 hours, you better find your sewing kit."

The latter is a far better legacy for all concerned.

This is a great personal development opportunity for the scout. I'd sit down with him, explain the two camps (hey, where's Beavah?) and let him know there are many people who think that the paperwork is the most important thing, and until the bureaucracy at National is finished processing it and sends it back, those folks would think it's wrong for him to wear the rank or call himself an Eagle Scout. I'd also tell him there is another camp that thinks the work he has already done, which was validated by his EBOR, is the most important thing and those folks believe he is entitled to wear the patch right now. The first camp will be offended if he disagrees with them, and question his character and whether he is really trustworthy or not. The second camp will not be offended if he disagrees with them, but they may consider it to be a mark of leadership and courage if he defies the first camp and wears the patch now. Whichever camp he agrees to follow, he will add a small amount of credibility to that camp's position when the next scout is in his position.

Which is right? I think that's up to him. If he has truly earned his rank, he should have the maturity to make that decision himself - his adult mentors should simply give him full information about the available options and let him choose.

(edit: fixed dumb spelling mistake)(This message has been edited by JMHawkins)(This message has been edited by JMHawkins)

I would never leave such a decision to the scout. That is like asking him "Do you want to piss off Mr A or Mr. B.?" He has shown enough personal growth through the Eagle requirements and Boards of Review that he doesn't need another one. Give him the patch and let him enjoy it.

I would never leave such a decision to the scout. That is like asking him "Do you want to piss off Mr A or Mr. B.?"

This may be the first time, but it certainly won't be the last time, he finds himself in such a position. Life is like that. If you're any sort of a responsible citizen, let alone a leader, you will find yourself occasionally forced to make a choice between two essentially incompatible positions, with people on either side being dissapointed, angry, perhaps even "pissed off" if you choose the other side. Making the choice for him so he doesn't have to "piss off" Mr A or Mr B is like cooking for him on a campout becaue you don't trust him to do it right. You're making it easier on him now, but at the expense of his future self-sufficiency.

If he really has done all the things needed to earn that badge, he's ready to make this sort of decision.