Gifts for Eagle Scouts

Hello there, my husband has just started acting as the Scoutmaster for my sons troop this past week, a newbie.

Can you please help me out with ideas for gifts that a Scoutmaster should give to the Eagle Scouts for their Court of Honor? We don't have any Courts scheduled as of yet, just asking for the future?

Thanks.

Robbin

I don't know if I've ever seen or heard of a SM giving a gift to an Eagle Scout. The SM has already given the gift of his time and knowledge. I was SM for 28 years and pinned 26 Eagles and never gave them a gift and have counseled a half dozen others as ASM and I know that the SM didn't give them anything.

With that being said, if the SM wants to give a gift there are all kinds of things in the Scout Catalog for Eagles or he could give a gift of membership in NESA, the National Eagle Scout Association.

Don't go for any of the commemorative knicknacks and geegaws (read: expensive junk) from the catalog. Consider starting a troop tradition and give something that has meaning for the unit - a hand-carved or woodburnt totem, a small troop flag, a framed map of the favorite summer camp, etc. Or go with the practical - some small, cool piece of outdoor gear that he could use to continue camping while working after high school or in college.

Receiving the BSA's highest rank award should be its own reward. I can see it if mom or dad or Aunt Martha want to get him something, but the adult leaders have given the most precious gift of all...the gift of time and mentorship (not to mention personal funds). In my opinion, the Scout should be giving them a gift, although I'm sure none is expected.

I agree, a gift from the SM is unnecessary. (As others have said, the SM "gave at the office.") Usually relatives will give the Eagle a gift, sometimes also "friends of the family" which may include parents of other Scouts. But I don't think I have ever seen a SM give the Eagle a gift. I did once see a gift go the other way around, and not just the mentor's pin. (Not something very expensive, just a small gift, I don't remember what it was but everybody thought it was a very nice thing to do.)

I concur with the other posts. I have never seen a SM give gifts to eagles. You may if you wish, but it is not required or expected.

Parents often give gifts. If the troop wants to do something, I agree that I would not simply purchase something out of the catalog, but perhaps put together a photo montage or something more personal commemorating the new eagle's career in the troop.

In the '70s, our SM had a standing pledge to give each new Eagle a Buck knife, the folding Ranger 112, very popular model at the time. No engraving, just a standard knife at off the shelf. I think I was just as proud to put that knife on my belt as I was to get Eagle.

I understand how folks feel about a gift from the SM being unnecessary, given the time and energy that the SM commits to the program. I agree, and perhaps it would be nice for the Eagle to give the SM a gift instead.

That said, I gotta wonder: would the new Eagle prefer something like a Buck knife given in a simple ceremony, or a big ceremony with solemn oaths and decrees, with a big binder on the back table containing 50 congratulations letters from dignitaries that don't know the new Eagle from Adam's house cat?

Today's cottage industry of Eagle ceremonies and Eagle geegaws and Eagle congrats letters from all and sundry leaves me a little flat. I'll take the Buck knife any day. Just my thoughts. It's all up to the Eagle, the parents and the SM.

I'm not sure what the phrase "acting as the Scoutmaster" means. Either you are the Scoutmaster or you're not.

But I digress.

As Scoutmaster, I gave each Eagle Scout a well thought out letter of congratulations for his "memory book". Words of wisdom he can look back on in 5 or 10 or 25 years. Additionally, our Troop would give each Eagle Scout a lifetime membership in NESA, because we thought that was important.

Just asked Scoutson what he might like for earning/receiving Eagle (CoH next month). He said "Just to happy".

I think the letter idea and SM trinket is appropriate, but it should not be "expected" necessarily.And not publicly presented, but privately.

Hey, how 'bout a 4wheel drive F150, bright red?

A year or so ago, 4 scouts from our former troop all hit Eagle about the same time. I had been their ASM for many years and wanted to acknowledge them. I looked for something kind of cool and not too expensive. We had just bought, kind of as a joke a Fleur de lis branding iron on clearance at scoutstuff. I bought some Nalgene water bottles and branded with the scout logo.

It went over pretty big so now that's my tradition. I just branded another one this week for a COH Friday.

I even told my own sons that they didn't get one until they hit Eagle. (one is starting to plan his project)