I wish I would have known about these BSA published articles earlier.

Yah, the one yeh mention is phenomenally poor. It shows a lack of understandin' of youth programming and youth development.

I prefer the BSA's official definition of "active" in the Rules and Regulations, which we all agreed to and which da author of the article apparently forgot. I suppose someone signed him off on 'em for once-and-done instead of ensuring proficiency. ;)

An active youth member is one who, with the approval of a parent or

guardian if necessary, becomes a member of a unit; obligates himself or

herself to attend the meetings regularly; fulfills a member's obligation to

the unit; subscribes to the Scout Oath or the code of his or her respective

program; and participates in an appropriate program based on a member's age,

as promulgated from time to time by the BSA.

Beavah

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL twocubdad.. At least we would have a huge pool of candidates to be meritbadge councilors.. The objective is that regardless of how long or complex the requirements are, the boys should earn it in about 15 minutes tops.. By finding the loopholes!!!

So I read "Guardian at the Gate." It seems intellectually flaccid. If there has been no actual accomplishment, what are we "recognizing"? Can we not, at a bare minimum, look at effort? Not even that? "Recognition" of what exactly?

TAHAWK wrote: "If there has been no actual accomplishment, what are we "recognizing"?"

No one's talking no actual accomplishment. He did his project. He did has merit badges. He did his POR. If POR, then he did his active time. Just not as active with his last troop as some would want. The issue is that he didn't do more than required and he didn't do most with his current troop. He just did the requirements as documented.

"Can we not, at a base minimum look at effort?" Depends. The adult leaders have approximately 280 opportunities to evaluate the scout (i.e. requirements). And to be honest, only a few requirements explicitly include effort as a criteria. POR being one. 20 nights of camping as another. Purchasing food as another.

TAHAWK wrote: "If there has been no actual accomplishment, what are we "recognizing"?"

No one's talking no actual accomplishment. He did his project. He did has merit badges. He did his POR. If POR, then he did his active time. Just not as active with his last troop as some would want. The issue is that he didn't do more than required and he didn't do most with his current troop. He just did the requirements as documented.

"Can we not, at a base minimum look at effort?" Depends. The adult leaders have approximately 280 opportunities to evaluate the scout (i.e. requirements). And to be honest, only a few requirements explicitly include effort as a criteria. POR being one. 20 nights of camping as another. Purchasing food as another.