Hiking MB a thing of the past

Ten times around a paved 1 mile track is not a hike, it's a forced march.

Swimming MB in a day?

The experience of earning the badge should mean something more than checking off another block towards Eagle.

Recommend pulling some old scout handbooks ('60s and earlier) off the shelf, and see how rich they are in the spirit of outdoors and scouting.

In the second edition of the Fieldbook (circa early 70s), the hiking chapter is still one of my favorite to read. Simple games to play on a hike, how to pack (no gucci gear in those days), making your own snacks at home. Being responsible and adventurous, etc.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to do the Hiking MB but was surprised in reading through the requirements that its not set up like the Cycling MB is to encourage progression of skill and endurance. In today's world where child are more and more in front of a TV because of video games it is important to do the progression which should be part of the Hiking MB rather than a separate before process in addition to five 10 miles and one 20 miles.

Deaf- a 10 mile hike is a preparation hike, or can be depending on where you are and what gear you take. Certainly a 10 mile hike can take 3.5-6 hours and can be done in an urban setting or on a trail rated as easy. The weight of gear total would certainly be less than 10 pounds including water. Though I acknowledge not everyone could do a 10 mile hike the majority of boys should be able to do it.

Such trails near Rochester include Genesse Riverway Trail. A little research could probably net you several trails rated easy to moderate.

Also, DS, a 5 mile hike is part of First Class requirements (under the navigation category). A patrol could plan a 10 mile circuit just visiting each other's houses.

For a boy who's been swimming and boating every day in the summer since age two, sure the MB could be knocked off in a morning. I say get those kids signed off and on their way to life saving and later BSA guard. Other boys may take years to finish the badge.

I am "earning" the Hiking MB along with the boys. 20 miles can be pretty rough--our Troop has done some night-day hikes for the 20 so that at least half is done when it is cool. Stop for breakfast--and your almost half done!

We did an urban/history hike and it was the least popular of all the hikes (though the boys learned something). Apparently the heat and pavement was a lot tougher, and the constant stopping when crossing traffic. I think it was good to show the boys they could do it, for example after Hurricanes you sometimes do a lot of walking when roads are messed up and gas is short.

I am a big walker everyday and walk all over town but would much prefer a walk in the woods.

IMHO a nature hike will excite the boys more.

I don't understand why anybody would want to do a "ten mile hike" by walking 10 times around a paved 1-mile track. That actually sounds extremely boring and would likely kill off any nascent interest in hiking. It also probably isn't great prep for actual hiking on terrain that is unlikely to be as flat or firm as a paved track. Most hiking trails have hills, variable footing, etc.

So, namu, help me understand this. You seem to be lamenting the fact that few boys want to pursue the hiking badge, but then with your prep hikes, setting them up to decide they don't like hiking. What am I missing, here?

You have to acknowledge the signs of the times. Obesity is rampant among youth because of electronic media. I have attempted to work on this merit badge as a troop, but I have few who are interested. I am working on it with my Philmont crew for this August - as a part of our conditioning. We will earn the backpacking merit badge and the 50 miler while there.

I hope you all understand the predicament we are in as a nation. I left public school teaching because I got no parent support, no administration support, and the state of Texas continues to do things that defy logic and common sense. I can see why shows like doomsday preppers is so popular - just remember you all the scout craft we all practice over and over - one day we will be using them to survive!

God Bless!

Robert Davis

IMHO walking around a paved track multiple times isn't hiking at all, it's walking. I don't think hiking necessarily involves a wilderness setting, I think one can do an urban hike but ISTM it should involve getting to a particular point and returning.

rldavis,

I have to agree with Lisa Bob, doing track work is boring, boring, boring. You can get (some) youth into a Troop hiking culture but gotta come up with more interesting trips. I would think a Philmont crew would have a more enjoyable time if they got the Hiking and/or Backpacking MB before the trip. And a track is not really a challenge; there are no different surface conditions, elevation changes, etc. Why not do a treadmill at the Y then? How is that "prepping"?

There are lots of tips on this forum and online on making interesting Hikes. Do a "Zombie Apocalypse Hike*", a "Survivor Man" Hike with stations on Scoutcraft. Make up Hiking awards, do a Scout Miles Walked board.

Come on Texas! Florida is just as screwed up, hot, paved, and flat and we can do it! Where is your "Alamo Spirit"*?

*Just made that up. Have the boys plan it. You do have the boys planning the hikes don't you?

**My mom is from Hawaii and I know they have "Aloha Spirit".

I gasp when I read things like this. But I know this is the truth that more than a few people think that Hiking MB is a thing of the past.

It is similar to boys wanting to do Geo-caching and not Orienteering. It is a fundamental skill that should be learned. How can you backpack without first hiking? Why would you take boys backpacking without first training them up using hikes with daypacks?

Wouldnt most of it be done as part of the normal troop program: Hey PL, here is a map. You and your patrol plan the way back to the campsite from point.

Isnt hiking exactly what we are supposed to be doing? Getting the scouts outdoors? I dont care what mix of urban versus wilderness. Get them outdoors.

What I find is that the parents/adults are usually more afraid of the distance hikes than the scouts. The adults are usually the ones that tend to have the health issues I worry about on a distance hike.

Over a 4+/- year scout career this should be an easy one to get. Just like the boys have to log the days of camping.

The only one that takes significant planning is the 20 mile requirement.

10+ mile day hikes or 3day/15+ mile backpacking trips are not (nor have they ever been, I think) routine for most troops. I'm not saying they shouldn't be if all your boys are well-conditioned and don't have weekend commitments. But, most of our work schedules only allow for so much time off, and the Mrs. wants part of that, and we always have newbies clamoring for a week of summer camp. So, shorter than MB-required hikes and backpacking trips are the norm.

It's a unique group of boys who will say "Hey, let's pick a peak" and cover those longer distances. Hiking and Backpacking MB's are better suited for 10% of boys devoted to the sport. Taking the whole troop is just a drag.

That's why I am opposed to the adult supervision requirement for patrol outings. Accommodating adult schedules takes away from the boys time staying fit. (And it keeps good boys off the trails for those of us who may need rescuing someday!!!)

Peregrinator says:

I don't think hiking necessarily involves a wilderness setting, I think one can do an urban hike but ISTM it should involve getting to a particular point and returning.

Very true, in fact two of my favorite hikes as a Scout (glad I can still remember back that far, though I'm not sure where I put a file about 10 minutes ago...) were historic trail hikes (about 12-15 miles in one day if I remember correctly, though I might not) in New York City (lower Manhattan, where there are still some traces of the Revolutionary War hanging around) and Washington, D.C. Even if it's not a "historic trail," the general idea of an "urban hike" is still a good one to mix in with the more backwoods settings.

We had an Eagle do the Hiking MB because he couldn't swim well enough to do the swimming MB. Not one of his hikes included a 10 lap march around a 1mile track.

The best way to find out who can do a 10 miler is to plan several 2 -5 milers to interesting locations. Plenty of great hikes out there all over the country to introduce scouts of any fitness level to the activity.

We had one local troop that worked on the Badge, hike the length of the Cape Cod National Seashore for their 20 miler. 20 miles in soft sand. No wussies in that outfit.

SA

WOW. I did 10 miles on the beach and I though my hip joints were gonna rip out of my sockets. Made the 10 miles on hills a bit easier by comparison. The topless sunbather was a highlight for some the older boys, the dead seagull for the younger ones. I kept my eyes averted from anything unholy--setting the good example and all.