A serious dilemma...

Yah, Congrats Fabs5342!

Now the real challenge begins, eh? Live like an Eagle Scout for the rest of your life.

Thanks for the kindness of comin' back and letting us know how it went.

Beavah

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad it worked out. :)

I think a summer camp staff position (especially a completely unpaid position like the OP stated) is much more difficult and quite a bit more of a leadership test than a troop leadership position. A summer camp staff position is a real job -- you're working that many hours a day. Last summer I basically worked 12-14 hour days six days a week for seven weeks. A troop leadership position might only be a few hours a week. I'd love to see the PoR requirements rewritten to include working all summer at a summer camp as an option, with the caveat that a person still has to wait another four months before getting the next rank advancement, and that only summer camp staff or troop PoR's count so that we don't have people double dipping and getting Eagle when they're 10 (maybe we should just set age requirements as well as the PoR's).

If we say that summer camp staff is 8 hours a day, six days a week, and maybe six weeks long, that's 288 hours. A six month troop PoR where you maybe spend three hours a week is 78 hours. Summer camp also has non-working mandatory events like breakfast and evening flags, where the Scout would probably get to sleep in every day if they were loafing around at home all summer, and there are events outside the regular merit badge classes like swimming, shooting, totin' chip, campouts, hikes, that up the summer camp hours even more.

I'm an Area Director, which regular Scouts are too young to meet the age requirements to be, and I'll be working both Boy Scout (weeks) and Cub Scout (weekends) summer camp, but I estimate that I'll probably be spending a grand total of 720 hours by the time everything's all over this summer and I think those members of my staff who will also be working Boy and Cub summer camp will be working at least five to six hundred hours this summer. That's why I don't begrudge them running off to our Staff hangout cabin and playing Xbox or PS3 or whatever during off-times and evenings, they'll be putting in a heck of a lot of hours this summer.