Upcoming merit badges...

AllFan - thanks, that's the source of my confusion. We have some scouts who signed up to do the kayaking MB at summer camp, so I was under the (mistaken) impression that it was already "live." Well, it will be in less than a week! I agree that this is a good addition to the MB options.

As for game design/programming/animation - I would rather see these combined, than as 3 separate badges. I recognize that there are some differences, but a lot of the underlying materials overlap.

Pair Search & Rescue with Wilderness Survival & First Aid MBs for some kind of cool award.

Game Design is coming in 2013. It was already announced in national communication to councils. I did find programming and animation listed on another council's page as planned. I agree that these could be combined in one badge-just not sure what you would call it.

I am not surprised by this, not after video game beltloop/pin came out for cubs. BSA is also getting into STEM initiatives-thus more tech badges like robotics. The scouts love them I know, but I thought we were trying to get them off the electronics and into the outdoors!? Thank goodness outdoor badges like kayaking and s/r are coming too. I would also like to see Carpentry come back, along with updates to the trade-based badges.

There are STEM based Explorer programs-BSA could promote increasing the number of this type of Post.