"Merit Badge Meeting" signoff...what would you do?

Got something that I'd like the opinion of more seasoned Scouters on.

My son recently crossed over to a Troop. This troop has occasional Merit Badge Meetings in addition to its regular meetings. Now, I've read enough here to know that even though it's a common practice at most of the troops we've visited, it's one that some folks don't like, so I understand that.

Anyway, the troop was offering Personal Fitness in two meetings four weeks apart. I was somewhat puzzled about that plan to begin with because you can't fit 12 weeks into 4, but I thought the boys would get a partial or something.

My son went to the first meeting where they did the benchmark fitness tests and discussed some of the other requirements. He didn't come home with any plans or instructions or paperwork, but I am trying not to interfere so I just let him and his troop do their own thing.

Well, a week before the second meeting he severely injured his wrist, requiring a splint. He wanted to go to the second meeting despite that, and I told him that was fine and he could just complete what he could and do the rest later after he healed up.

When I picked him up from the meeting, he told me that all the boys earned their badge, including him. I asked the counselor leading the course what about the pushups and pullups that I knew my son couldn't have done, and the counselor told me "Oh, we'll just award it to him. If he wants to, have him do those later and send me an email."

Okay...

So at home I pulled up the requirements and asked my son what they did in the class. Sounds like they did about half of the badge as far as I can tell, not counting the fact that they got it done in 4 weeks and clearly my son couldn't do the physical part at all.

I'm really struggling with this one. It's bugging me that he didn't do the requirements. I feel like redoing the whole thing with him so that he does.

On the other hand, he's supposed to be "in charge" of his Scouting career now, not me, and it's a situation where the MBC signed off on the badge. I don't want to be "one of those parents."

What would you do, if anything?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you do, if anything?

It depends on who I am in the situation. If I am just in your role, as a parent, I think I would do nothing. At most, I might have a discussion with the Scoutmaster. If you really aren't happy with the leadership of the troop, I think you'd be better advised to find a new troop, but I don't think that privately going against the troop leadership is going to serve your son very well.

If you are a parent who wants to get involved as a volunteer, then I'd start with something where I could make a positive difference, rather than starting out with a battle.

If I was a leader in the troop, I would definitely be talking to the Scoutmaster about changing the troop philosophy.

If I was the Scoutmaster, this wouldn't count at all as a merit badge.

I know where you are coming from, and I'd be frustrated too, but I don't think that this is a good place to start working on things.

How well do you the leaders and other parents in the troop?

Was this actually a personal fitness course or was it requirements 10a & 10b of the Tenderfoot rank?

If it ws 10a and 10 b, it can be done in 4 weeks which is the meeting equivilent to 30 days - do the physical challenges, and then show improvement 30 days later.

As far as: "Oh, we'll just award it to him. If he wants to, have him do those later and send me an email." .... I suppose it depends on if he showd alot of improvement in the other areas and it was obvious that he would be able to show improvement in the push ups and pull ups had it not been for the splint.

Okay, not sure if they actually did all of what they were supposed to, but if they had, the time frame sounds like Tenderfoot requirements.

Good catch scoutfish.....I would hope it would be the tenderfoot fitness requirements.

If it is the Fitness Merit Badge.......Depends on how you want to get along......

Me, I am about whats doin right.....I would speak up and point out that we are to require no more or less than the requirement states.

Brewmeister,

The "right" way: If your son was actually working on the Merit Badge, vice the Tenderfoot requirements, I would read the requirements to him and ask him as a Scout if he actually DID the requirements. If he answers honestly that he didn't, let him know that he can take the badge later.

Then go to Council and inform the Council Advancement Chair, your DE/SE, and the District Advancement Chair about the Councilor. He represents the Council and District as a MBC and they are responsible for him being certified.

The "easy" way: Ignore it. Let it happen a few dozen more times and watch a boy become Eagle without ever having to conmplete a Merit Badge. Everyone learns to take the easy way out and the Boys lose out.

My $0.02 for what it is worth.

Rick

No, it is the Personal Fitness merit badge, not the tenderfoot reqs. They did the mile run and the other PF tasks and did discuss some of the MB requirements as I indicated in my previous post. They were using those handy workbook printouts that I'm sure you're all familiar with.

Personally, I am an Eagle Scout so I have pretty good, albeit outdated, knowlege of the program, and this bugs the heck out of me. Also as a WDL I would say we were a much bigger stickler for requirements even on the Webelos achievement fitness badge!!!

But, to the Troop I am just a dad, and wanting to give my son his space to grow.

And no I do not want to undermine the troop by saying anything. So, should I take the time to go through all the missing requirements with my son, even though it is technically his responsibility to seek out and complete MBs, because the requirements were pencil whipped (at least in my opinion)?

This has little to do with your son or your role as a parent.

It has everything to undermining the value of that bird that we hang from left pockets.

I would (and I have done) something. I'd ask folks to stick to the standards or risk undermining the awards of every boy who had a blue card with their signature on it.

Regarding your son, I would challenge him as mentioned above. I would ask the SM to refer him to a different counselor.

PLEASE people! My son has been a scout for two months. The badge has not even been awarded yet. Nothing is tarnished.

There is plenty of time to do the right thing.

By the same token I do not know what the right thing is because I am very new to having a boy in Boy scouts.

This is why I am asking the question.

I know you are probably trying to helpful and I appreciate it but you are coming off as very critical toward me. Would it have been better if I had not asked the question here?

Give me your input, and please give me some time before you toss the darts. I did not expect to have to deal with this.

Schiff's got the idea. The mission of the BSA is to teach ethical decision making. While this isn't the way we want to see ethics being taught, it does present you with a teaching moment.

A number of years ago my older son had a similar experience. At a troop meeting he approach the fitness MB counselor about STARTING the merit badge. About 20 minutes later, the counselor tracked him down and handed him a signed blue card indicating he had COMPLETED the badge. He brought me the card and asked what he should do. (Now at this point, let's stop to note that him recognizing the situation and asking for advice was a BIG point in his favor.) I asked him what he thought he should do. He thought for a minute and said he could hold on to the blue card, finish the requirements, then turn the card in. I suggested that was a good idea, but would be better if he checked off the requirements with another counselor before turning the card in. (Of course I understood the other counselor would complete another blue card, but that's beside the point.)

Talk with your son. Make sure he understands the big picture. If you feel you want to address this with the troop, I think you are certainly justified in doing so.(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)

Here's what I think I am going to do.

First, it's important I have all the information before charging off on any path. I do know that yes, it the MB and not tenderfoot requirements.

Then, I will print a full copy of the MB worksheet and go through it with my son on paper rather than just asking him questions. See if he feels they have covered everything. As you know, sometimes boys don't remember everything right.

Then, I will call the counselor and say, I know he was signed off on this, but he doesn't feel right with having it awarded before he actually does all the requirements. And oh by the way, we talked about it and he doesn't recall doing x, y, and z either. Did you cover those?

I think I know the answers already but I need to be sure.

Where I am really struggling with this personally is that as a PARENT I am not supposed to have to deal with this, so I thought. This was the big difference between Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts..."Son, it is now up to you to chart your own path and take responsibility for your own stuff."

As an Eagle Scout, you know what the right thing is. The Scout Law hasn't changed. But as an adult and "only a parent", you also know that it's not "courteous" to come into a new troop and start telling them what they are doing wrong. Offer to serve as a Committee member, then start changing the culture, one baby step at a time. Consider this a red flag that they are playing fast and loose with the program. Some flexibility is ok, and even encouraged, but not when it comes to advancement requirements. The rule is "do the requirement"...no more, no less, unless there is a medical waiver granted. I would be thinking of what other rules they are "flexing"...Give it some time, and meanwhile start considering what other troops are out there that may be offering the program as it's intended. Good Luck, dad!