Emergency Preparedness Award

I'm searching for some additional awards to keep my son and the other boys in my tiger den active.

According to

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Emergency_Preparedness_Award

There's a form to be filled out and submitted to council for approval. Where would I end such a form?

I don't get the idea that our pack has been active in these, what I'll call extra curricular awards, so I'm starting here first.

Uaully with such things as this: We fill out the forms, but also input it in scoutnet advancement too.

WE take our forms to the scoutoffice and hand them to our registrar. Then walk over to the scoutshop and pick up the patch, badge or whatevber it is the award entails.

Mind you, some awards do not need paperwork or forms. Some are just part of doing a certain number of requirements and electives in a period of time or order. THose are not necessarily advancement awards, but just awards to recognize.

You are talking 1st grade TIGERS here.

Save some of the more involved stuff (like Emergency Prep) for when they are older and can understand it a bit better.

Awards don't keep boys active. Having FUN does.

There are a lot of FUN Tiger Electives that will keep your Tiger Teams (Tiger and their Adult Partner) busy, and involved thru the end of the school year.

Are there any Pack activities (derbies, picnics, etc) coming up that the Tigers need to plan/get ready for?

How about any council/district Cub Fun days coming up?

Please do not start the boys, and more especially their parents, thinking that everything they do MUST require an award of some kind.

BLW

Why don't you start the boys with the Sports and Academic program????? That is something the they can get their head around and it is really enjoyable for them.

I think your wasting your effort on EP with a tiger den.....the boys don't Care....they would rather play dodge ball or kick ball or heck, look at bugs under logs....

blw2-

I just got finished doing the Emergency Preparedness Award with my den. The award can be completed at Den Level. You would only fill in the first section. Depending on your council either your CC or other awards person can fill in electronic records or you can take the forms down to the council office and they can enter them. But definitely let your Pack know who earned the award.

Since the Tiger Den usually has completed 2/3rds of the requirements to earn this award it would be silly to not allow the boys to work on the rest of the award, given that going over all the requirements would take up a single den meeting. Besides that letting the boys feel that they can help their family prepare for an emergency can help them be less afraid.

My son for example would go into a panic if there was even a tornado watch issued (common for my area). Now after going through EP realizes that there are things that can help prepare a family for a disaster and mitigate loss of life.

Also going over Achievement 3 and Elective 27 can reinforce the importance of the program (show its value).

My one warning on these is that several of the Red Cross programs listed are out of print. You can probably find copies of FACT or BAT around but you would have to contact individual Red Cross Chapters. Some like Greater Chicago still have BAT listed for sale though.

Something our den did for requirement #3 (same for Tiger and Wolf) is to put on a skit for the families about emergency preparedness.

Also this is one that can be done each program year with a den, though you only wear one pin on the uniform.

On the form that you fill out the other sections are for scouters at the unit and district level.(This message has been edited by dlchris71)

Our pack conducted an Emergency Preparedness Pin Day at the local fire department training center. In one room, pack leaders and parents received CPR certifications and the other room, the dens and siblings were split up and the Den Chiefs and other parents and leaders went over the common requirements. This was done also with fire department paramedics who demonstrated their equipment and took them for a tour if the training facility. (really cool) The BAT and FACT books were ordered from the local Red Cross over the phone. All the scouts had a great time, and the parents reported that their kids are more aware in regards to phone safety and procedures, basic first aid, ect. There were some things the dens had to finish on their own at a den meeting, but our pack is now more "prepared".

Oh great, now I have some homework to do..... thanks!

I wonder if our local FD would do anything like that.

I'll also have to look to see if something like this could count as a go see it for Wolf den next year.....

Yes, do your homework. You'll find it rewarding getting know some of these folks. Talk to your sheriff's department as well. They may be able to put you in touch with a canine rescue group.

Don't forget to ask the den's parents if they have any connections you all can leverage.

Some troops and crews are also associated with fire halls and ambulance services. There may be a youth or young adult among them who can help. Bring it up at roundtable or give your district commish a call.

I agree with BD that kids this age want to have fun, but for me at that age sports was a true misery. Learning how to talk to a dispatcher was very engaging. My mom had fainted at home a year earlier, and I was barely able to call Dad and explain the situation. Knowing how to handle these situations was important to me.

Not everything works with every boy, so you have to focus on an activity for a couple of weeks, then move on. If the boys want to do something again, they'll tell you in no uncertain terms.