Canoe Camping in the Western States

I am looking for information about rivers suitable for float trips in states West of the Rockies. The only river I have seriously canoed is the Colorado below Hoover Dam and the Russian River in California. Other Rivers that suggest themselves are the Sacramento, the Williamette in Oregon, and the John Day in Oregon. Anybody have experience with these places or others they would care to share?

• 3 weeks later...

Our troop has done several trips in Oregon you may be interested in. This last summer we did the John Day, and several years ago we canoed the Columbia River, from Ranier, Oregon to Astoria. This trip followed a portion of the Lewis & Clark expedition. The Columbia can be challenging because of the size of the river and the weather effects. The John Day has some whitewater experience, but not too challenging. Let me know what information you would like, and I will help where I can.

Thanx for the response. I knew about the Columbia previously and had learned of the John Day off the internet earlier this year. What I don't know is the identity of local outfitters and the kinds of services they provide (drop off, pick up, etc.). If you know of some outfitters on either river that would be very helpful.

Canoe camping is new to our troop here in California. I used to do it as a boy scout back in the midwest. The interest is there, but I want to identify additional opportunities.

What about the Williamette in Oregon? I would suspect that river might be more polluted with agricultural runoff. Have you ever done that one?

The John Day was attractive to us because of the relative solitude and beauty of the area, and the whitewater aspects. Good fishing for bass also. However, the river levels drop quickly, and we began the trip the day after most of our scouts were out of school. Even then, we were scraping bottom by the end of the trip. Another couple of days could have been a problem. I will get more specific info, including internet site for water level history, from the parent who planned the trip.

As far as the Willamette, we never cosidered it. It is a medium size river, but slow moving, and runs through towns and farm areas. It just didn't compare to either the John Day or the Columbia. When it looked like we might not be able to do the John Day this past year because of rapidly dropping water levels, we did not give the Willamette serious thought, but instead looked at the Columbia as our backup. Luckily, the levels held on the John Day and we were able to make the trip.