Texas Eagle Scout achieves rare 17th Palm

All I have to say is "Wow." I remember finishing my Eagle the day before I was 18. I just feel that boys shouldn't be earning their eagle at 13 or 14 years old. I just feel earning it that young doesn't instill in them what the purpose of that accomplishment is.

This has been a great debate for many years. In my small group of friends, 6 out of the 8 are eagle scouts. We all were in scouting and we all finish around are 18th birthdays. I took on a project that took me over a year from planning to finishing. I feel if I finished younger I wouldn't have fulling appreciated the honor I received. If I would of been Eagle at his age I would of earned that many Palms. I personally earn over 100 merit badges.

Sorry about my opinion but not sure how others feel about this.

Its great to see this in the news just makes me think.

Let's just take a moment to be impressed by this accomplishment. This means, of course, that he stayed active as an Eagle Scout for 51 months beyond Eagle. Anyone who earns Eagle and still stays involved "gets it" a ton more than any Eagle who earns his badge and then disappears.

Also, the hints of elitism in the "my Eagle is worth more than yours" argument is exactly the opposite of the attitude Eagles are supposed to display. In the Eagle Scout pledge, a Scout is told to "wear [his] award with humility." Claiming you appreciate the significance of Eagle more than young Eagles do is not quite in line with the idea of humility.(This message has been edited by Eagle707)

So honest question: did you post that link so that we could have an interesting discussion about a dedicated boy or so that we would re-ignite the debate of whether a 13 year old Eagle is really an Eagle?

Not that that particular theme hasn't been beaten to death or anything...

A 13 year old Eagle is the same as 17 year old Eagle.

I really don't like it when people try to put a minimum age on Eagle.

I got my Eagle when I was 14.

Maybe these guys making Eagle just before they turn 18 should look at what the younger ones are doing.

"did you post that link so that we could have an interesting discussion about a dedicated boy or so that we would re-ignite the debate of whether a 13 year old Eagle is really an Eagle?"

I am a former Scoutmaster of many Eagle Scouts, some who earned it at age 17.99 years old and some at age 14. Never had any 13 years old.

Some have scoffed at my two 14 year old eagles but I know they earned theirs. And both of the stayed active in the troop until age 18. So Scouting to them was more than just the Eagle.

Palm envy.....by some......on his way to harvard and a very sensible quote from the young man....I don't begrudge his accomplishment.

Who cares in the grand scheme of things????? None of my boys will ever do it, nor would I promote such an endeavor......

But I wonder who called the news folks?????

Locally we had a scout earn all of the merit badges....Parents hired a PR firm he made the loop of the news stations, state capital, on and on...... While it helps scouting, I think it cheapens the award and work to achieve it. It was to the point that mom carried around a scrap book with all his news clipping and gave away DVD's of his tv appearances......

Plenty of guys stay involved in scouting after attaining Eagle, but earn maybe 1 palm, or zero.

They don't rate coverage by the media, but I'd say they are still living up to the rank as much the guy with a bunch of palms.

I've always viewed the palms as optional.

I am not trying to steal a thread or anything. I just stated my opinion, which is the point of forums.

I am in no way saying anything wrong in this situation.

I am amazed by his accomplishments. Hints the reason I sad Wow.

17 palms is a lot.

I am allowed to have my opinion.

I was just stating a fact that at least of my friends who I'm still very close to 6 or us were blessed to be able to finish. Also, I never said I feel elite to anyone. You were reading too much into what I posted.

All I was saying is that it just makes me think. I started in Boy Scouts when I was around 12 and because of family moving and time, I only made Basic Scout and then didn't get back involved until I was 16. So, I know if you are determine you can finish within 2 years.

Just because I stated what I did does not mean I am not humble. However, I just feel that if I was younger I wouldn't of fully understood what being an Eagle meant. That is all. To each person their Eagle awards means something different. So, yes for someone to feel that their eagle is better than someone else is not a wrong feeling. That is just how the world works. For someone to feel better about what they have done they might feel that way. I never said that nor do I feel that way. You are the one who said that. The way Eagle is earned and what the scout had to overcome can either make it a better sweet end or can be a great beginning. I wish I could be like that young man but I wasn't because of the issues I stated before.

I am entitled to feel how I feel and I know I am not the only one who feels this way. I am glad he stayed in scouting and continued to be active. I am still involved with scouts so you know. Even 10 years after getting Eagle.

I am just surprise you could read more into what I said.

I like many other young men earned the award for different reasons.

I am proud of that young man and wish him the best in his future.

More than anything I was just amazed by the fact that someone could earn that many palms. I have no Palm envy nor jealous of his accomplishment. I am proud to be apart of a brotherhood with that young man.

Getting a Palm does not mean anything more than you stated involved after getting Eagle. Do I wish I could of been awarded the Palms but I couldn't because I aged out. Many Scouts do that.

I am just going to end this as saying congratulations and I wish him the best of luck in his future.

Eagle02-

My apologies if I misinterpreted what you said. Your longer explanation makes a lot more sense and now I see your statement was based more in personal reflection (which did also feature in your initial post). However, initially, this was what I read:

"I just feel that boys shouldn't be earning their eagle at 13 or 14 years old. I just feel earning it that young doesn't instill in them what the purpose of that accomplishment is."

I am sure you understand that could have been read a few different ways. If I misunderstood the meaning behind your words, I apologize. It is very easy to misconstrue comments on the internet.