Preventing tips on bottleneck sign in at MBU

We had a HUGE problem with sign in at MBU as EVERYONE came at the same time to sign in. Suggestions on preventing this from happening again??

How have others done MBU check ins when the doors first open? Seems they ALL check in at the same time, PROMPTLY... *grins

Can you please take into account that sign in person can be Deaf. I brought along a dry erase board but Scouts are not 'trained' in a new way of 'sign in' even when directed to write their name down... *laughing

Thanks to several Troop leaders, they took the initiative and got all their Troop scouts' names while sending their scouts down to the waiting room cafeteria.

I chair a 3 Saturday Merit Badge event, so been there still doing it.

I direct registration to council office. Council emails me a copy, so I know they are paid.

Once council gets it and I get a copy, I schedule based on each scouts choices. I ask for 3 merit badges and 3 alternates. I email or call the unit leader and give them confirmation of which merit badges the Scouts got into. 1st come 1st served. Communications with unit leader instead of each scout.

Couple days before the event I email each merit badge councilor their roster. I email the Scout point of contact for each Troop their units roster/session list.

On the day of, I have a list of open Merit Badge sessions with available slots and the list of full Merit Badge sessions.

Scout points of contact pick up a copy of their unit roster with any last minute info.

Scouts that register "day of" can request to get into open sessions, and are directed to ask the councilor to add their name to the Merit Badge roster. I add a tick mark to the class size before they go. The only info I need is payment and unit contact info. The scout is also told if their names do not show up on the roster I get back from counselor at the end class (I give the councilors 2 copies of the roster so I can get 1 back each day with any corrections/additions/req. completed) they aren't in the class.

I have a poster in the hall with Merit Badge session/room number.

This way those that registered early check room number and go on to he merit badge (no check I needed). I use 2 min. After opening flag to mention that and direct day of's to see me.

Day of's have a quick payment and choice of open Merit Badges then are sent to sessions.

At the end of the day I do have additions and corrections to add to unit rosters and Merit Badge sessions to keep everything up to date. Some times I email councilors because they forget to turn in the days sheets.

Seems like a lot but there are rarely more than a Handful of day of's now. 250 Scouts on average.

Got to agree with BD.

As an aside, I don't see how "Merit Badge Universities" are at all compatible with the Advancement Method. But, unfortunately, as long as they are a source of income for the council, and appeal to Eagle Mill troops, I don't see them going away.

But, in answer to your question, let me ask you: what purpose does this "sign in" process serve? If the Scout is contacting the MB counselor prior to the event (as he should be), and the counselor says "Great, we'll be meeting at 9am next Saturday in room 123 of Smalltown High School. Be sure to read over the MB book, and be prepared to discuss A, B, C. Let me know if you have any questions, and see you then!" -- where does the need for this additional sign in or registration process come from?

The more you can spread out the bottleneck, the better. Either in time, in space, or in responsibility.

Best option - have the Scouts register ahead of time, have a list at each merit badge location, just check off the attendance.

You could also just have each counselor do the registration for their own merit badge. Or have each Scout do it - give them each a blank blue card as they walk into the class and have them fill it out.

Or if you really want or have to do it that morning, use one representative from each unit.

Something like that, anyway. I hate these tremendous process inefficiencies. Good for you for trying to make it better.

Just had our first planning meeting and the bottleneck that happened last year at the first one Merit Badge Academy (MBA) was definitely talked about along with several other bookmarks so abuse of the MB program doesn't happen. We're going to stick to the 3 session approach of morning, afternoon and full day. For the bottleneck, we're going to learn and use the online registration this year. Those that already registered will by pass the check in and be checked off with their attendance sheets in the MB class they signed up for.

online registration site: http://www.meritbadge.info/index.html

Do like summer camp: Require a pre registration for every scout attending and let him list 3 MB's that he''d like to take in oder of importance.

Since you always have some who just show up and register on the day off, you have a dry erase board set up high above the registration table with a listing of slot still available in each MB class. As they get taken, erase the available number and change it to what's left.

This will also help to see that next year, everybody registeres ahead of time and you can look at how many want what MB and it should help you prepare.

Scoutfish,

With the online registration there is so many slots per class so a someone signs up the slot gets filled.

I like the dry erase idea at MBA for the walk ins. You're right in how it will emphasis the point of pre-registration. I'll even take it a step further and post the cancelled class. Monday is our cut off date for online registration with the event Saturday.

We really had a problem with a parent that was a walk-in last year for our district's first one. The counselor told MBA that he wouldn't do it unless he had 5 scouts. It seem there is lots involved in his presentation, including transporting and setting up his trains. Mom was annoyed because she came just so her son could take that class. It was an endless song for quite some time with her yet we all patiently listened to it.

Reduce the bottle neck with pre-registration/online or return email confirmation to the Scout/Unit Leader. I know it did our event.

The MBC's appreciate it, and the Scout/Unit leaders bringing them to the event appreciate it.

I don't turn a walk in away, but make sure they understand they have to choose from whats left, not what they have to have but did not plan for and they will not get into a CLOSED/FULL session.

You could have tickets with the Merit Badge on it for the remaining "open slots" and have the Scout pick up a ticket and go on to the session, 1st come 1st served. The MBC writes in the collected tickets on his roster. No ticket, no write in for "day ofs". This way no need to collect anything but payment before the Scout gets the ticket.

I have had MBC that balked at too few Scouts.... I won't reuse them, as the ideal size is 2 Scouts anyway. If they are not willing to work with 2 Scouts..... thanks for your interest, NEXT!

If you can't depend on a MBC showing up for ANY reason, then don't use them. Rail Roading is not so difficult you have to have an elaborate train setup. Sounds more like a kid setting up his toys.

Phone calls, I hate them.

For me, I have called 50 counselors one year (trying to get as much new blood in our event), and only got 5-10 return phone calls. Probably because some contact info on the District list is out of date, the preference to only council their own units, and a general apathy to return phone calls or treat a no call back to "not interested".

So, now I ask around at RT, council events, scouters when I run training, or meet/greet when Unit Commissionering. I fish for strict emails of interested people. Since I rely on email for communiton before and after the event, it's one way to cull the pool.

This is probably the reason why the "often praised, but broken" method of a Scout calling a Merit Badge Councilor doesn't seem to work nowadays, and why many Scouts only get access to their own unit's Councilors.

It's unfortunate people cling to methods from bygone days for commuinication, just because it worked 40 years ago. But I'm getting on another SoapBox....(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Ahhhh the phone dilemma dg98adams.. *laughing

So glad to READ someone say they HATE phone calls. Having been totally immerse in the Deaf community for 3 years where everyone texts, emails and etc and GONE from Scouting in that time. I didn't know 'dinosaur' phone like my ASM has still existed when we exchanged phone numbers. Believe me when I say my eyes POPPED open when he took it out of his pocket...*laughing

Shall I tell ya my experience of Craiglist and looking for a used car? Feel FREE to get on your soapbox with little ol' moi as I understand yet another side of the 'famed phone issue' that you'll NEVER experienced. That is until you either become hard of hearing or Deaf.. *winka

Anyways that a WHOLE 'nother topic for the BSA 'Differently Abled' Awareness MB... *grins

For me they are just now coming up with a portable one that I can take via my smart phone that is NOT hooked up to my television (thinking how many Scouters are gonna scratch their heads on this comment of television phone... *laughing)

That's a whole 'nother Communication MB... *impish grin

Anyways DG...

Kidding aside.. THANKS for the connection tip. Guess I better add 'connection' job to my list and rope a few more in to help me. Even going to need to add in footwork needs to do list while adding meeting dates to the calendar. Only disadvantage is a printing of the MBC list since its now on the website...*thinking, thinking, thinking

Gonna do the dry erase board for openings as you're right in walk ins can't get into closed sections. I too don't like the idea of turning them away. (Will NOTE your wording on the open slots sign and the flyer.) Just crossed off the ones being taken. Good point on the tickets for adds one for the MBC as they will already have their attendance sheet plus keep scouts from just joining any class from reading the map. No name on the attendance sheet and no ticket means no entrance into the class. Means I will have to have a back up class NOT posted in case all the open slots are taken and I still have a walk-in. hmmm on the 'Be prepared' with plan D.. *laughing

I see your point on the MBC that won't come if not enough register. There is also the flip side in getting MBC to come/ commit. I will keep your 'NEXT' advice in mind.

Can't tell ya enough DG how MUCH I've appreciated your advice, feedback and suggestions on the MBA so I be sure and plan ours well while giving the Scouts a great program.

FYI... we wanted a twist to separate ours from another in the district and came up with the idea of 'parenting' class. (YEAH.. go ahead and LAUGH as my Scouting buddy did the same after the initial HUH????) Its basically sessions for the parents to learn a scouting skill or help them obtain the knowledge in say shopping for sleeping bags, shopping for hiking shoes and etc. Still trying to come up with a way of wording it that catches interest yet doesn't insult the actual 'parenting skill'... *laughing Welcome your suggestions... *hint, hint, hint.. *laughing