• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To provide scouters another avenue to get official answers to Advancement questions vice batting them around and giving out wrong information like Forums do.

Also scouters should subscribe to Advancment News to get the monthly newsletter.

National has historically been beaten up for not providing information to scouts and scouters so this is their way of trying to get current information out.

Other avenues include advancement.team@scouting.org and merit.badge@scouting.org(This message has been edited by NACAP)

With no disrespect meant to the nice person who has informed us of this new tool, my first thought was: "So the BSA has finally gotten on board the "Twitterverse" - must mean that Twitter's on its way out and something new is about to eat Twitter's lunch".

It does sound like a nice new tool for people to use, though.(This message has been edited by calicopenn)

Managing Subscriptions to Advancement News

Advancement News is designed for council and district advancement

chairs, advancement staff advisors, and Eagle processors. However,

any Scouting volunteer or professional may subscribe.

Subscribing. Send a message to advancement.team@scouting.org, with

SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. Indicate your name, email address, and

council in the message text.

You know, it would be nice if the BSA had a functional website and an online training system that didn't freeze, fail to record completed online trainings, etc.

I'm not opposed to twitter but it doesn't seem like the most pressing online need that the BSA has.

Thanks OGE. Opinions are fine but blantant disregard for the rules and the Gatekeeper mentality gets me peeved. We should be on the other side of the gate pulling scouts through instead of standing in front of the gate keeping them out. This is one of the reasons the GTA and new Eagle Workbook were written and why the Advancement News and Twitter were started.

Lisabob. I don't disagree that National has problems with the IT systems. Twitter is a method the advancement folks are trying to get the information out quicker. Scoutnet should have been retired long ago. I personally (maybe I'm just lucky) have not had issues with the Training or Internet Advancement software. Each Web site has its challenges. It took me months to get registered on this one. :-)

BSA's web problem isn't an IT issue by any stretch of the imagination. OK, perhaps they could use a better search function. But the main problem is one of content and organization. The site is simply atrocious, apparently having been managed by someone who doesn't understand how the public navigates the Internet. BSA needs a good editor, a communications professional rather than a Scouting professional, to take charge and kick people in the butt rather than leaving content decisions up to the individual divisions and sections.

If the Advancement folks need to get information out "quicker," as NACAP suggests, it already has multiple platforms and systems through which to do so. (Roundtables, anyone? Email newsletters? Council newsletters? Scouting.org? Magazines? Blogs?) It's a sign of Irving's incompetence that it apparently feels that it has to turn to a third-party system to contact its members.

NACAP, I know Scouter.com has had some tech-y problems lately, but consider that it's paid for by a guy out of his own pocket, doesn't charge a fee and is moderated by volunteers. BSA is a fee-based mega-million-dollar national organization with highly paid staff and tons of resources. You really can't compare the two, even with a smiley-face. That's more than a bit unfair.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

NACAP.....It might help alot of people here on the forums have a better idea where your coming from on this standpoint and where your info is coming from if We knew what your position in scouting was.

Im dont have a twitter account right now but i am curious about some of the advancement information your gonna be putting out.(This message has been edited by MoosetheItalianBlacksmith)

By the way, NACAP - Those email addresses you posted? I searched on Scouting.org to see how National was advertising them. I found advancement.team only listed in the GTA and in the Advancement News publication. The merit.badge account I couldn't find posted anywhere. Neither is posted on the @AdvBSA Twitter page.

So how are people supposed to use them to communicate when they don't know about them?

(Oh, and those searches I did on Scouting.org? I had to use Google to do a site search, because the Scouting.org search function gave me a runtime error.)

Shortridge...as SGT Hulka would say in the movie Stripes...."Lighten up Francis" you obviously have a huge issue with the BSA so as I have told folks in the past, it something makes you so upset that you go off on not being able to find something on a web site, maybe you need to take a break from that activity. You don't need to attack me.

The merit.badge@scouting.org email address is in the GTA Chapter 7 Meritbadge section.

The Twitter account has been up less than a week...give it some time (or don't). I was asked by the Professional Staff to post it on this site and meritbadge.org.

For MIB...I am a volunteer like most of the folks on this site. I'm a SM, on our DAC and have done 100s of EPs and EBORs, served on the panel that helped write the GTA and new Eagle WB and am an Advisor to the National Advancement Committee. My info comes from the NAC and National Advancement.