Does anyone know anything about a Kayaking MB?

I have inside info :) We will be offering Kayaking merit badge at Sand Hill Scout Reservation this summer. I have a copy of the pre-release merit badge pamphlet, but am not supposed to share it. Scout's honor that I won't. Here is what I can share:

What:Kayaking Merit Badge is designed as a basic level merit badge for flat water.

Where:Requirements and Pamphlets will be available in Scout Shops and online in May 2012.

When:Earn Date will be in May 2012specific date to be determined.

Why:The youth showed significant interest* and this topic fits well with the merit badge portfolio and Scouting program to better prepare youth in Kayaking. This Kayaking merit badge is designed to be accomplished on flat water.

Note:The Kayaking BSA Award will remain the same. Venturers and Boy Scouts may continue to earn the Kayaking BSA Award. The award will not provide credit towards accomplishing the Kayaking merit badge.

(This message has been edited by Tokala)

• 1 month later...

Can I reiterate my complaint about the ability of National to pick and hit a date? Relatively official sites list the date as May, June, or July. Will it really be June 8? We are actually kayaking in June and it would be nice to know.

I'm one of the authors for the kayaking merit badge book. I was told this morning (5/31) that the book's official release date is June 13. I also was told that summer camp directors can obtain a PDF of the text from national before that if needed to help with planning. However, the requirements are very similar to the current BSA kayaking award. Any current American Canoe Association kayak instructor, at any level, or any BSA Paddle Craft Safety kayak instructor should have no trouble leading the merit badge program.

Robin