• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred,

I haven't sat on many EBORs, but the ones I have never had that question asked, except at mine, and I would strongly suggest that it not be used unless they were serious with the scout not getting Eagle. That is not something to play around with.

Also he was dead serious about it. He was going to vote against me getting Eagle b/c he did not sign off on the project. And others had problems with him as well. If memory serves, the SE personally got involved in the situation, something that usually doesn't happen as it is worked through the DEs.

Gunny: If that's the way it's going to work the Scouts EBOR members should also be his Eagle project counselors

Thats exactly how we do it here....they come to the eagle board for pre project aproval and then are given a member of the board as an advisor/councilor to work with till they come back before the board for review of the Eagle Rank.

Ultimately, I think that's absolutely the way to go, MIB. No reason the same people shouldn't see the process start to finish.

Otherwise I think you guys are over-thinking this. All that bad stuff may be technically possible, but not highly likely. And how do you think it will go when the SM is sitting with the Scout during his appeal, saying, "No, I approved both his proposal, was present during the work and approved the final project. I am satisfied the requirement has been met."

• 2 weeks later...

E92-Well, I have sat on many EBORs, officiated well over 200 of them and a handful of appeals boards. Ive never asked that question, nor has the question ever been asked, and it wont be. Its an inappropriate question, IMHO. I hope that particular question is only asked in jest, but it doesnt sound like it from this thread.

Also, I vehemently oppose the notion that the burden of pass/fail on an Eagle Project be placed on the Eagle Boards shoulders. Per GTA 8.0.1.1, In most cases it (EBOR) should, instead, be a celebration of accomplishment. I realize thats what BSA has done to us with the new process, but as with many things they publish there in Irving, they contradict themselves often.

Seems to me the EBOR responsibility should be limited to three basic questions with regards to the Eagle Project: 1) Did the project which was originally proposed and approved reasonably match the project that was completed? 2) Was adequate leadership performed during the execution of the project? 3) Was the beneficiary happy with the results? Barring some sort of out and out fraud, if these three basic questions can be answered with a resounding YES, then the project passes muster, and the EBOR has no authority or business trying to reject the project. Unit Activity = SM rules.

Since BSA is very clear that a BOR cannot retest a candidate on anything, doesnt that make it the SMs responsibility to ensure that the requirements have been met, just like for every other rank? The SM is the last person in the food chain that can actually bring a halt to the process and retest a scout. I rely heavily on the Scoutmasters signature to attest that the boy has met all the requirements and is ready to sit for his EBOR. If, for some reason during the EBOR, the project still turns out to be a sham, Im usually not going to fault the Scout, but that Scoutmaster is going to get an earful while the Scout is out in the hallway waiting on that unanimous vote to come back.

Eagle Board Members. I dont know about the rest of you, but I try to get some newbies involved in the EBOR process every chance I get. Those people who are outside of scouting that would find an EBOR one of the most profound things theyve ever witnessed, is who I like to see. Performing an EBOR as if it were some sort of inner sanctum is just wrong in my book. Ive had several individuals brought to tears from the overwhelmingness of an EBOR. I believe in promoting Boy Scouts in every way I can and I find having a few newbies in the group every month has done more good for our cause than most anything else Ive seen in recent years.

Imagine a mother, whose son became an Eagle just a couple months ago being invited to come back and sit in on her sons best buddys EBOR. Further imagine how much more proud that mother will be of her own son after having witnessed first-hand what he went through just a few short weeks ago. And then imagine what an ambassador for scouting that mother will become after having been totally blown away by the experience.

Also imagine that Life for Life adult who got out of scouting and never returned as an adult, who after 20-30 years gets an opportunity to participate in his first ever EBOR. And then imagine the emotions that man will have after witnessing the awesomeness of the EBOR that he never had for himself, but how proud he is of his student, his basketball player, his neighbor who just got the good news that he is now part of the Brotherhood.

I don't know for sure, but I think maybe were agonizing over a bunch of stuff that, in the long run, doesnt really matter that much. There really is a bigger picture here, don't you think?

"The SM is the last person in the food chain that can actually bring a halt to the process and retest a scout. I rely heavily on the Scoutmasters signature to attest that the boy has met all the requirements and is ready to sit for his EBOR."

Last I knew if a candidate doesn't get the SM's signature he can still request an EBOR thus bypassing the SM.

And then there's alway the option that I saw when I had a problem with a candidate who tried to significantly downgrade his project. When I wouldn't approve his watered down project he just quit and went to another troop. He went from proposal to EBOR in his new troop in something like three weeks!

For board members we always try to get one person from the community. The owner of the local newspaper, restaurant owner, Legion and VFW commanders are a few we've had recently.

Had a SM request to have his signature removed once, after the paperwork had already been submitted to the Council Office. Like trying to un-ring a bell. Turns out the boy was fine. The problem had to do with a bunch of adults that got out of hand.

Also, I try to get the Project Beneficiary to attend the EBOR. It's always nice to know that the project was well-received, and hearing it directly from the horse's mouth is always a good sign.