Pets merit badge question (and merit badges in general)

TT,

Yep, in MB counselling, strive to connect and mentor the boys; to get them past a simple checking off of requirements to uncovering and discovering natural curiosity in the boy.

And overall within the troop adult leadership, strive to communicate to parents to continue to remind them of the differences between aims and methods.

As a Merit Badge counselor, it's pretty much the only "talk" I have with Parents on a MB is telling them to have their son contact me.

Although, I will discuss the difficulty level of a MB with the parent (or Scout) and overall estimated effort needed.

I will discuss with the parent the Troop policy on Blue Cards and dealing with Partials from camp and the council policy on who can be a Councillor.

I will try to explain why BSA encourages seeking those outside the family (but does not prohibit it) for a MB, and how to get signed up if they are seeking approval to be a Councillor.

When I talk to a MB Councillor, I say "if it says do, then they have to "do", if it says "explain", then they have to "explain", etc.... Otherwise there's no magic interpretation on the requirement other than the level of effort the Scout rises to meet it. He either meets it, or needs counseling on how to get there.

Pets Merit Badge (PMB)

My son, in pusuit of PMB, got a friend interested in having a green cheeked Conure (A species of parakeet) like the one my son has. My son talked about it with him, showed him highlights in the book about it, and e-mailed links to the boy that were places where birds like that can be gotten. The parent said "no!" The Counselor said that my son had done all he could and that the requirement was fulfilled, because my son could not control what the other family did. My son has PMB. This is similar to the discussion about "attainabilty" of Wood Badge ticket goals. Those need to be written so that dependence on somebody else doing something is avoided.

We have three cats. Each has it's own neurosis, but all have learned to behave at meal time. Instead of going bonkers and tripping us up as we try to fill their bowls, we say "Get Back!" and they all move over and sit (!) behind the dishwasher. When the bowls are filled and on the floor, they come forward to eat.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the "get approval" is nebulous. If I were a pets MBC, I would interpret the "get approval" as getting the approval of the pet owner. Certainly I don't want some kid looking after my corgi if he has no clue how to feed it or clean up after it. I would also see the point of "get approval" meant the approval of the MBC after they ascertain that the Scout knows what is involved with taking care of the pet.

I disagree that "get approval" means the approval of the SM because a Scout cannot begin to work on a merit badge until it is open. If that's the case then "get approval" would be redundant if it meant to get the approval of the SM. I would not have relented on this because you are right in that they need to coordinate with the MBC and not just view them as the person that signs the blue card. Also, I get the impression that the Scout was looking for an easy merit badge in interpreting a pet show and showing the pet to some friends. You didn't mention what evidence the Scout showed. If they showed proof that they truly did start taking care of the pet upon approval of the SM, I may allow it but if it is

"I fed the dog."

"What did you feed it?"

"Food."

"What brand?"

"I don't know"

"How many times a day did you feed it?"

"Once" (N.B. a dog should be either freefed or fed twice a day. The scout would know or learn this as part of the approval process)

Mom: "He fed the dog. Just sign the blue card."

I can guaranty that either the Scout has to wait another 4 months, Mom needs to go MBC shopping, or the Scout ain't getting the merit badge.